McGuire Center introduces new Entrepreneurship and Innovation minor

Selena Quintanilla

Former Finance major and intern analyst Courtney Ehland represents the Stage Exchange platform at the McGuire New Venture Competition on April 28 in McClelland Hall.  A new interdisciplinary Entrepreneurship and Innovation Minor will be available starting in fall 2018 for non-Eller undergraduate students.

A new interdisciplinary Entrepreneurship and Innovation Minor will be available starting in fall 2018 for non-Eller undergraduate students.

The minor is offered by the McGuire Center for Entrepreneurship and gives non-Eller students an opportunity to gain skills and take classes that previously could only be accessed by Eller students.

“In today’s economy, professionals in all fields – not just business – are expected to act in entrepreneurial and innovative ways,” said Remy Arteaga, director of the McGuire Center for Entrepreneurship. 

RELATED: New entrepreneurship director brings startup experience to Eller

“The new Entrepreneurship and Innovation Minor will enable more students across the university to develop an entrepreneurial mindset, learn practical business skills and gain real-world experiences from applied learning projects with multidisciplinary teams,” Arteaga said.

The focus of the minor is to give all undergraduate students the opportunity to gain skills that will benefit them professionally.

“UA undergraduate students can enroll in the minor now to develop entrepreneurship and innovation skills they can use to ‘future-proof’ their degrees, further their careers and gain a competitive advantage in the job market,” said Casey Carrillo, program coordinator of the McGuire Center for Entrepreneurship.

Carrillo said the minor was created in response to student interest and employer demand for graduates with entrepreneurial and innovative skills.

The McGuire Center for Entrepreneurship also offers a Certificate of Entrepreneurship through the New Venture Program, but this minor provides a more in-depth experience for non-Eller students. 

RELATED: Winning team walks away with four prizes, $31,300 from McGuire Entrepreneurship Program’s New Venture Competition

“The minor differs from the Certificate in Entrepreneurship through the New Venture Development in multiple ways,” Carrillo said. “The certificate only consists of only three courses, which includes acceptance into the McGuire New Venture Development program while this minor is a total of 18 or more units.” 

“The minor also allows students to take a variety of entrepreneurship courses, not all will focus on New Venture Development,” Carrillo said.

More information about the minor and the classes it offers can be found on the McGuire Center for Entrepreneurship website.

Follow Marquies White on Twitter