Baseball fiesta in full swing

Rebecca Noble
Rebecca Noble/ Arizona Daily Wildcat The “Mistress of Color”, Mary Wilkinson, paints Isaac Cecena’s face at the Vamos a Tucson Mexican Baseball Fiesta on Thursday night.

The Tucson Padres present the third annual Vamos a Tucson Mexican Baseball Fiesta this weekend at the Kino Veterans Memorial Stadium.

After traveling and playing around Arizona, three professional Mexican teams will be here during the weekend to play their final series in front of all the baseball fans in town.

The series includes teams like the Naranjeros de Hermosillo, Tomateros de Culiacán and Yaquis de Obregón, as well as two American teams, the Los Angeles Dodgers and the Kansas City Royals Future Stars.

Juan Vega, a player from Obregón, said he and his teammates are looking forward to ending their series by playing in front of a Tucson crowd.

“We played a series in Nogales, Sonora, [Mexico;] Nogales, Ariz.; Phoenix, and now here. We are excited to play in the Tucson atmosphere with new fans,” Vega said. “Tucson is always a fun time because of the variety of fans that make it out to the stadium to support.”

The Mexican Baseball Fiesta is a way to experience how Mexican baseball is played, without traveling to Mexico.

“The name says it all,” Tucson Padres General Manager Mike Feder said. “It’s a fiesta, a party. There’s music, mascots, beer and food. The environment has just been absolutely amazing these past years.”

The Mexican baseball fiesta will have live musicians performing Friday, Saturday and Sunday. The bands will give Tucson fans a little taste of the Mexican Pacific League.

The event has been successful the past two years, organizers said.

“We’re excited to partner with the Tucson Padres for the third year to bring Mexican baseball back to Tucson,” Felipe Garcia, executive vice president of Metropolitan Tucson Convention and Visitors Bureau said in a press release. “The popularity of this event continues to grow and we are proud to be a part of something that both locals and visitors look forward to every October.”

This event also offers baseball fans the opportunity to watch top prospects in action. The Dodgers’ 2013 first-round pick, Chris Anderson, will be on the Dodgers’ instructional league roster.

The Tucson Padres and Visit Tucson will be collecting non-perishable food throughout the event in support of the Mexican Red Cross efforts for those impacted by the recent weather disasters in Mexico.

There will be two games each evening, with the first games starting at 5:30 p.m. on Friday and Saturday, and 2 p.m. on Sunday. Children 12 and under are admitted free to both of Sunday’s games.

For every two non-perishable food items they donate, visitors will receive one general admission ticket for Sunday’s doubleheader, which features the Los Angeles Dodgers Future Stars playing Los Yaquis de Obregón and Los Tomateros de Culiacán playing Los Naranjeros de Hermosillo.

Individual tickets to the event range from $6 to $15, and there are also group seats available starting at $6 each. Tickets can be purchased before the event at Kino Stadium.

— Follow Rose Valenzuela @RoseAlyVal