“Jones guarantees bright future, new legacy”

Colin Darland/ Arizona Daily Wildcat

From left; Arizona basketball players Kyryl Natyazhko, Kevin Parrom, Jamelle Horne and Brendon Lavender look on in disappointment during the Wildcats NCAA Tournament streak-ending loss to UCLA in the Staples Center on Thursday.
Colin Darland/ Arizona Daily Wildcat From left; Arizona basketball players Kyryl Natyazhko, Kevin Parrom, Jamelle Horne and Brendon Lavender look on in disappointment during the Wildcats NCAA Tournament streak-ending loss to UCLA in the Staples Center on Thursday.

LOS ANGELES — Not even a regular-season-ending loss could put a damper on Momo Jones’ confidence.

Always candid and eager to succeed, the UA freshman said Thursday’s loss to UCLA didn’t compromise Sean Miller’s big picture.

Jones promised something to make UA fans happy and hecklers even happier.

“”People before us made that legacy and we just got to try to continue that on. Unfortunately we’re not going to make (the NCAA Tournament) this year but I guarantee that were going to get back there next year,”” Jones said.

Jones finished with seven points in 20 minutes Thursday against the Bruins.

“”The future of our team is bright. We just got to continue to work what we have,”” he added. “”We will have an advantage over a lot of young players who maybe didn’t play this year or maybe played a little bit.””

Former head coach Lute Olson’s legacy finally closed

An awkward retirement brought little closure to Olson’s legacy in Tucson.

The architect himself took a number of steps — and missteps — late in his career, falling short of a storybook farewell.

The university held banquets, ceremonies and honors all commemorating his 24-year career at Arizona, but Olson’s most notable accomplishment became the program’s go-to sales pitch: a 25-season NCAA Tournament appearance streak most just called “”The Streak.””

It all ended Thursday.

Consider it the closure of closures.

Arizona fell to UCLA in the first round of the Pacific 10 Conference Tournament. Victory in the tournament would have been the Wildcats’ last chance to secure an NCAA Tournament bid.

Olson’s fingerprints have finally been erased from those who wear the uniforms and those who keep the record books.

And 1

Actor Bill Murray was in attendance with his own fan club: a group of UA fans wearing his same visor and spiked hairstyle. Bill Murray’s son Luke Murray is on Miller’s staff. Despite sanctions prohibiting the Trojans from postseason play, Staples Center still displayed the USC banner along with the nine other Pac-10 teams.