UA announces early end to furlough program

President Robbins announced an early end to the furlough plan created in the wake of the COVID-19 pandemic. Illustration by Pascal Albright

University of Arizona President Robert C. Robbins announced yesterday the furlough plan will end earlier than expected. 

RELATED: Campus reentry update: UA announces shelter-in-place recommendation for students living on and near campus

Robbins said he pledged to revisit the issue in October this year after the fall census and March 2021 to make adjustments. 

“Our recruiting and retention efforts this summer and fall have yielded better than expected results in net tuition revenue, and this positive difference over projections will be applied to the FY2021 budget,” Robbins said in an email to the UA community.

Robbins did not specify the end date in his email but said UA business affairs will adjust budgets and announce end dates in the next few weeks.

“Despite this good news, we know the University continues to face long-term financial challenges stemming from the pandemic that will span years,” Robbins said via email. “I am so grateful to all units across the university for addressing significant financial shortfalls with great purpose and resolve.”     

The Coalition for Academic Justice at the University of Arizona were vocal opponents to the furlough plan since the initial announcement earlier this year. They called yesterday’s announcement a “big win” on Twitter:

Follow Priya Jandu on Twitter