Arizona soccer’s Ponce named Pac-12 All Conference first team

Jazmine Ponce
J&L PHOTOGRAPHY
Jazmine Ponce

The Arizona soccer team wrapped up its season (6-11-3) on Friday with a loss to ASU, but the Wildcats won off the field on Wednesday as midfielder Jazmin Ponce was named to the Pac-12 All-Conference first team.

“It feels amazing,” Ponce said. “To be named to the first team in the best conference in the nation really says something. I worked very hard for this with the help of my teammates. I couldn’t have done it without them.”

Ponce led the Wildcats this season with eight goals, her best season with Arizona and good enough for the top 15 in the conference — in her first two years on the team she scored five total goals.

Ponce also led the Wildcats in number of shots taken with 85, 40 of which were on goal, surpassing her total number of on-goal shots taken in the last two seasons by four.

She led the Pac-12 in shots and average shots per game with 4.25 and trailed UCLA’s Zakiya Bywaters for the conference lead by five goals.

This bodes well for the Wildcats because Ponce, along with four other players, still has one more year on the team.

The other players that make up the Pac-12 All Conference first team include: UCLA’s Bywaters, Sarah Killion and Abby Dahlkemper; Standford’s Alina Garciamendez, Rachel Quon, Mariah Nogueira, Emily Oliver and Chioma Ubogagu; California’s Betsy Hassett and Ifeoma Onumonu.