Lainey Burdett, two early goals lead Arizona soccer to first conference win

Losing streak snapped.

The Arizona soccer team scored two goals in the first 17 minutes and goalkeeper Lainey Burdett made a season-high eight saves as the Wildcats coasted to a 2-0 road victory against Washington State Thursday night in Pullman, Washington.

The victory snaps a four-game losing streak and it’s the Wildcats’ first road win and first conference win of the season, improving their record to 6-5-1 overall and 1-3 in Pac-12 Conference play.

“We responded well after going on a four game losing streak,” Arizona head coach Tony Amato told Arizona Athletics after the game. “We focused in on the task at hand tonight and didn’t worry about anything else. It was a total team effort and I’m very happy with the win.”

Arizona had scored first in nine of its first 11 games heading into Thursday’s game, and the team’s ability to get off to a quick start continued against the Cougars. 

In the 11th minute, a free kick by UA midfielder Gabi Stoian from just outside the 18-yard box was headed in by forward Paige Crouch to put the Wildcats up 1-0.

It was Crouch’s fifth goal of the season, a team-high, as well as Stoian’s fifth assist of the season, also a team-high.

And roughly five minutes after assisting on Crouch’s goal, Stoian was on the scoring end of a goal, as she created space at the top of the box and fired a shot to the left of WSU goalkeeper Ella Dedrick and into the back of the net, giving the Wildcats an early 2-0 lead.

Arizona has had trouble holding onto leads in recent weeks, but that was not the case against the Cougars. 

For the second year in a row, Washington State outshot Arizona — this time by a 18-13 differential — but thanks to a stellar outing by Burdett and the UA defense, the pair of early goals proved to be more than enough offense, and the Wildcats were able to hold on for the road victory.

It’s Burdett’s fifth shutout of the season.

Washington State’s record drops to 5-6-1 overall and 0-4 in the Pac-12.

Arizona will go for its second win in a row on Sunday afternoon when it travels to Seattle to take on Washington. The Huskies are 5-7-1 this season and have lost their first four conference games, including a 3-2 overtime loss to ASU on Thursday night.

Kickoff is scheduled for 1 p.m. and the game will be televised on the Pac-12 Networks.

Game notes

• Arizona won its first road game since Nov. 1, 2015.
  • The Wildcats have now won three straight against Washington State.
  • Stoian and Lexe Selman Richards each had a team-high four shots.
  • UA forward Haley Silverberg recorder her first start of the season. The senior, who recently returned from injury, has played in just four games this season.
  • WSU’s Kailiana Johnson had a game-high five shots, two of which were on net.
  • Five Cougars — Susie White, Jordan Branch, Kaitlyn Johnson, Kailiana Johnson, and Ella Dedrick — played the full 90 minutes
  • You can access the complete box score here

You can follow Ryan Kelapire on Twitter for more Arizona women’s soccer coverage