Tennis recaps

Jacob Konst / Arizona Daily Wildcat

Tucson, Ariz - The Arizona womens tennis team (12-11, 3-5) wrapped up its regular season Saturday afternoon at the LaNelle Robson Tennis Center, with a 5-2 loss to rival Arizona State (13-8, 4-4).

The Wildcats got off to a slow start Saturday as they were swept in doubles.
    Jacob Konst
    Jacob Konst / Arizona Daily Wildcat Tucson, Ariz – The Arizona women’s tennis team (12-11, 3-5) wrapped up its regular season Saturday afternoon at the LaNelle Robson Tennis Center, with a 5-2 loss to rival Arizona State (13-8, 4-4). The Wildcats got off to a slow start Saturday as they were swept in doubles.

Wildcat women unable to tame Sun Devils on Senior Day

Entering its last regular-season match, the No. 35 Arizona women’s tennis team was hoping to pull an upset, not only to help the team entering NCAA Regionals and the Pacific-10 Conference Tournament but also for the two departing seniors.

However, No. 25 ASU (13-8, 4-4) spoiled the Wildcats’ Cinderella chances by putting away Arizona (12-11, 3-5) 5-2 at Robson Tennis Center.

“”We were very disappointed today because we didn’t step up as a group,”” said senior Stephanie Balzert. “”We are also proud of most of the players because they were fighting hard and puking on the court, and they were giving their best.””

For the two seniors, the loss meant more than most other matches. On a Senior Day they would likely remember for a long time, their final chance to play at home didn’t go quite the way they had envisioned.

“”I was very nervous – I don’t know why – but especially during doubles, I was very nervous,”” Balzert said.

Arizona started out slow, being swept in doubles, which seemed to set the wrong mood going into singles.

Despite facing obstacles beyond their control, the Wildcats hung tough in singles competition, yet they were only able to win two of the six matches.

“”We had a number of girls that are hurt and competing and doing their best but were limited in their ability to compete,”” said Arizona assistant coach Brian Ramirez. “”(Sophomore) Camelia (Todorova) and (freshman captain) Danielle (Steinberg) were really banged up and competed anyways, but they fought hard but were limited physically.””

Men clinch victory, head to regionals

There’s only one thing better than beating rival No. 49 ASU for the No. 45 Arizona men’s tennis team: Beating the Sun Devils and qualifying for the NCAA Tournament at the same time.

The Wildcats (12-9, 3-4 Pacific 10 Conference) were able to accomplish just that, defeating ASU (8-14, 2-5) 5-2 in Tempe on Saturday, capping a two-match sweep of the Sun Devils this season.

“”We are very happy and satisfied because pretty much that match was to qualify us to get into the NCAA Tournament and whoever won was in the tournament,”” sophomore Jason Labrosse said. “”We are really happy that we are in. That was one of our goals this year.””

Heading into the match, the team was a little concerned about the effect that ASU’s home crowd would have, especially because it was the last match of the season. Those concerns were put to rest, though, once the Wildcats took the courts.

“”I didn’t feel (the ASU crowd) played as big a role as our crowd played,”” Labrosse said. “”I think that our crowd was better here than they were there, and they didn’t bother us as much.””

The doubles proved to be a battle because the pairs all faced deficits in the beginning, but two of the three duos came back to win their matches, gaining Arizona’s first point.

Four out of the six matches were won by the Wildcats, as singles’ No. 47 Matalonga won his final regular season match in two straight sets in the No. 1 position, 6-2, 1-6, 6-3, over No. 74 junior Jonathon Kinsella.

Groslimond stayed close with ASU junior Christopher Biro in the No. 2 slot. The match went into three sets with a two-set tiebreaker, but he was unable to grasp the win, 6-7 (7-9), 7-6 (7-2), 1-0 (9-7).

“”They (Roger and Jeff) are really happy especially because it was ASU, and it’s always more important when you play your state rival,”” Labrosse said. “”You always want to win more as much as every other guy, but especially for them winning their last match.””