W-golf in second

After the second round of play in the Pacific 10 Conference Championships, the Arizona women’s golf team sits in second place, three strokes behind leader UCLA.

As a team, the Wildcats shot six strokes higher than in the first round, in part due to senior Alejandra Llaneza’s 10-over-par round of 82. Sophomore Nikki Koller posted a 6-over-par 78.

UA climbed up the leader board, however, in part due to sophomore Margarita Ramos, who became the first Arizona golfer to break par in the tournament as she shot a 1-under-par 71.

First-round leader ASU did not finish the second round, and had two golfers withdraw from the tournament.

The individual leader after two rounds is ASU’s Carlota Ciganda, who sits at 1-under-par after posting scores of 71 in the first round and 72 in the second.

Sherlyn Popelka, a freshman from Zurich, Switzerland, is UA’s highest-scoring individual, tied for sixth place at 2-over-par. Ramos, who is in a tie for eighth at 3-over-par, is the only other Arizona golfer in the top 10.

The third and final round will be played today, with the winner receiving an automatic berth to participate in the NCAA Tournament. Arizona is all but guaranteed a berth due to its performance in the regular season.