Seventeen Magazine gives Tri-Delta makeover

Sarah Smith /Arizona Daily Wildcat Laura Chinitz, an elementary education senior and member of Delta Delta Delta, has her makeup done by a local cosmetologist at the make-over night sponsored by Seventeen Magazine.

Seventeen Magazine and Maybelline New York gave members of the Tri-Delta sorority free makeovers last night as part of their nationwide tour of five different college campuses.

The free makeovers were part of a national initiative titled “”Campus Groove,”” said Lindsay Swartz, senior promotional manager for Seventeen Magazine.

“”Campus Groove is about getting samples and information (about the products) out to college students,”” Swartz said. “”Seventeen is the number one magazine on college campuses for teens and college students, so we thought this was perfect for us.””

Lauren La Vache, Tri-Delta president, said the event gave the sorority members a good chance to really bond with each other before school started to get tough.

“”It was a great way for the new girls to meet the actives by starting to get to know one another,”” La Vache said. “”It’s a great bonding experience””

When it came down to choosing a sorority to house the event, the decision came quite easily, Swartz said.

“”I talked to someone in Greek Life, and I got them to recommend a couple houses that would be excited about this,”” Swartz said. “”(Tri-Delta) was one of the first houses that I called, and they said yes.””

La Vache said she could not have been more excited that her sorority was chosen to house the event.

“”We found out about (the event) a week ago, and I announced it at chapter,”” La Vache said. “”It’s a fun way to start out the school year.””

The event included free makeup samples for the girls, a free drawing for a prize package of Maybelline makeup, a tarot card reader and plenty of snacks and drinks.

The Maybelline / Seventeen Magazine booth, located on the UA mall yesterday, gave out about 1,000 free samples of nail polish, lipstick, foundation and eyebrow product.

Lindsay Hartman, an elementary education senior, said this was a nice way for the sorority to start off the school year.

“”In college, we’re always so busy; it’s hard to get us together for a fun event,”” Hartman said.

Besides the UA, Seventeen also chose to take their makeover skills to the campuses of University of Texas at Austin, Rutgers University, University of Northern Illinois and Florida State University.

“”They are going to five college campuses across the country,”” La Vache said. “”Whatever sorority has the most members show up (to the makeover event) will get $1,000 toward their philanthropy interest.””

Courtney Zavras, a pre-physiology sophomore, was extremely thankful toward both Maybelline and Seventeen Magazine.

“”This is so much fun, it’s amazing,”” Zavras said. “”I love getting my makeup done, and it’s so nice that they came here and are doing this for us.””

The nationwide tour is intended to give the girls a relaxing night, while promoting both Seventeen Magazine and Maybelline New York, Swartz said.

“”We’re doing this as a treat to the sorority and to the campus,”” Swartz said. “”It also acts as an added bonus for Maybelline.””

In the end, Swartz said that the most important thing was for all of the girls to enjoy themselves.

“”All these girls just want to get made over so they can go out tonight,”” Swartz said. “”That’s the point, we are here to pamper them.””