Police Beat: October 24

Kids these days

University of Arizona Police Department officers arrested a UA student on charges of minor in possession of alcohol in body on Friday at 1:30 a.m.

Earlier that evening, UAPD officers in the lobby of a residence hall saw two women walk through and go to the elevators. One woman, who seemed sober, was helping the other, who had vomit running down the front of her shirt and pants.

As the women waited for the elevator, officers noticed the woman being supported was struggling to keep her balance.

While the two women and officers rode in the elevator, the officers began speaking to the women. They noticed both women smelled strongly of alcohol.

The more sober woman said she was a UA student and lived in the residence hall. She said the other woman was her friend who was just beginning her second year of high school, and was visiting from California for Family Weekend.

She said they had gone to several off-campus parties that evening and settled at a fraternity party. A UA fraternity pledge escorted the women that evening and was their designated driver.

The student admitted to drinking more than five shots of raspberry vodka in the first two hours and said she was unsure how much her friend had drunk at the parties.

While the student was describing the evening’s activities to officers, the visiting girl could not keep her balance and had to sit down.

The Tucson Fire Department was called to evaluate the girl’s condition. It was determined that she should be taken to the University of Arizona Medical Center for further medical treatment.

The girl’s parents were contacted and met medical officials at UAMC.

The UA student and the visiting girl were cited and released for minors in possession of alcohol in the body. The girl was released to her father after being treated at UAMC.

Last Friday night

On Friday at 12:11 p.m., UAPD arrested two UA students in a residence hall on charges of minor in possession of alcohol.

The on-duty resident assistant called UAPD officers because a strong smell of marijuana was coming from one of the dorm rooms.

When the officers walked into the hall, they smelled marijuana along with a strong odor of dryer sheets.

Officers knocked on the door and were met by two students. After getting permission to go inside the room, the officers entered to search the area and speak with the students.

The students denied using any sort of drugs or having drug paraphernalia and said that the boys down the hall were always smoking.

During the search, officers found an empty pink Ziploc bag that had contained marijuana. They also found seven cans of Rolling Rock, one Coors Light can, 14 Miller Lite cans, and a 40-ounce bottle of Steel Reserve in the refrigerator, along with three-quarters of a handle of Skyy Vodka in the freezer.

The students said the alcohol was their friend’s, who had hid it in their room while his parents were in town.

The alcohol was dumped out and thrown away. The RA was given the information to bring residence life charges against the students.

UAPD officers then cited and released the students on the spot. Code of conduct referrals were sent to the Dean of Students Office for both students.

Balancing act

On Sunday at 2:20 a.m., two UA students were diverted to the Dean of Students Office for minors in possession of alcohol in body.

UAPD officers were patrolling in golf carts when they saw two women stumbling down the street. They were trying to help one another out but failing to keep themselves balanced, let alone each other.

As the officers approached the women, they noticed their bloodshot, watery eyes. The two women smelled strongly of alcohol and could not speak without slurring their words.

One was trying to sit on a wall because she could not hold herself up. The other was able to stand up alone while officers questioned her.

The women, both UA students, said they had been drinking at a fraternity house on Greek Row that evening, but would not say which one.

Both students were diverted to the Dean of Students Office.

– Follow Micah Montiel @MicahMontiel