ASUA proposes changes to elections

ASUA Senate will propose changes to election dates and look to fund thousands in clubs at tonight’s meeting.

During the fall semester, the senate approved election dates entirely in March, but the election commission hopes to shift things up a week in the spring semester.

The Associated Students of the University of Arizona Senate, according to elections code, must approve all changes.

Proposed dates are Feb. 30 to March 2 for primary elections and March 7 to March 9 for general elections.

A “”campus-wide”” elections week, according to Michael Colletti’s proposal to the senate, is the reason for the change.

University Activities Board, in reorganization, is being added into ASUA and student events and programming board bylaws are being reviewed as well.

More than $7,000 in club funding is also up for approval.

Most clubs received at least partial funding from the ASUA Appropriations Board. Chi Alpha Christian Fellowship, a spiritual growth club, received full funding for a UA seminar. Chabad Student Club, a Jewish cultural center, was awarded two-thirds of its funding for a March 6 leadership ceremony. Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, an African-American sorority, is hosting a fundraising event to send two members to the regional conference and received funding for everything but a disc jockey and security.

Camp Wildcat, a club which takes underprivileged children on camping trips to discuss college, had its item stricken because it couldn’t present mock receipts. It will resubmit at a later date.