Khalil Tate leads Arizona to fourth consecutive victory of the season

Madeleine Viceconte

Khalil Tate gets ready to pass the ball during the second quarter of the Southern Utah vs. Arizona football game at the Arizona Stadium on Saturday, Sept. 15. 

Arizona football defeated the Colorado Buffaloes Saturday afternoon by a final score of 35-30 to secure the team’s fourth win of the season. It seems as though Khalil Tate outdoes himself every time Arizona plays Colorado, as the senior quarterback threw for a grand total of 404 yards, a career record, on the afternoon.

In a game that seemed like a battle of two strong offenses, Tate led the way with 404 yards on 31-for-41 passing. In addition, Tate threw three touchdowns and one interception after 60 minutes of action.

Four of Arizona’s receivers caught for more than 50 yards each, including Brian Casteel (74), Jamarye Joiner (68), Tayvian Cunningham (56) and Cedric Peterson (99). True freshman Michael Wiley tailed right behind those four with a total of 48 yards on the afternoon.

As important as the impressive passing was this afternoon, the miracle of the game was the fact that the Wildcats committed a measly one penalty in all 60 minutes of action. Arizona was called for a defensive penalty for a grand total of five yards in the fourth quarter.

Looking back at this season, the Wildcats have struggled with controlling the number of penalties they commit and there is no doubt that this has allowed their opponents to unnecessarily score.

Tate’s only interception on the afternoon came late in the second quarter when Tate threw downfield into a crowd of Buffaloes. Colorado’s Michael Onu got the interception and brought it to Arizona’s 38. One play later, Colorado’s K.D. Nixon threw to Dimitri Stanely for a touchdown pass to give Colorado a 13-7 with 1:50 remaining in the half.

With Arizona’s 35-30 win against Colorado at Folsom Field, the Wildcats become the sole leaders of the Pac-12 South with a 4-1 record on the season.

Arizona football is back in action next Saturday, Oct. 12 at home against the Washington Huskies at 8 p.m. for Family Weekend.

Follow Amit Syal on Twitter.