Kuehl awarded Pac-10 Athlete of the Week

Adam Kuehl
    Adam Kuehl

A first-place finish in the discus at the Clyde Littlefield Texas Relays earned senior Adam Kuehl Pacific-10 Conference Co-Athlete of the Week honors for the week of April 9. USC’s Noah Bryant was the other recipient of the honor.

Kuehl won the discus at the Texas Relays, tying his season-best throw of 62.29 meters. In a tight discus competition where five throwers surpassed the 60-meter mark, Kuehl recorded five fair throws that were all better than the second-place distance.

Kuehl also threw 17.70m in the shot put to finish in third place.

This is the second time in his career Kuehl has been named Pac-10 Athlete of the Week. He is also the first Wildcat to receive the honor this year.

Steinberg is Pac-10 Player of the Week

Sophomore Danielle Steinberg was named the Pac-10 women’s tennis Player of the Week yesterday. This is Steinberg’s first Player of the Week award.

Over the weekend, Steinberg notched two upset wins over USC’s No. 10 Lindsey Nelson and UCLA’s No. 22 Riza Zalameda. Both wins came in straight sets.

Steinberg also went 1-1 in doubles over the weekend teaming with junior Juliette Mavroleon to defeat USC’s top doubles team of Nelson and Julie Smekodub 8-7(2).

Steinberg has won four out of her last six matches and is currently ranked No. 91 nationally in singles.