Women’s hoops opens against Nicholls State

After months of practice, weeks of scrimmages and a few exhibition games, the Arizona women’s basketball team officially kicks off its season tonight at 7 p.m. in McKale Center against Nicholls State.

Though the team is picked to finish seventh in a Pacific 10 Conference preseason coaches’ poll, UA head coach Joan Bonvicini expects her team to fare better than the prediction.

“”That’s OK,”” Bonvicini said. “”We expect higher than that, but after last year it doesn’t surprise me, but we’re a much better team than we were last year. Our expectations are high. Our general goal is to get back to the NCAA Tournament, and that’s what we’re planning to do.””

Junior guard Jessica Arnold also said she doesn’t think much of the preseason poll.

“”This is probably the best team I’ve been on, and the most together team I’ve been on. Last year a lot of things happened. We have a bright future ahead.””

Newcomer Beatrice Bofia will not be ready to play after spraining her left knee in the Red-Blue Game Nov. 1. and her twin sister, Suzy, will assume the starting role at center.

Bonvicini said tonight’s game is big for Arizona because it is key for the team to start on the right foot, especially as it faces a very difficult weekend playing No. 1 Maryland as well as two other ranked teams this weekend.

“”We’re playing three good teams next weekend, so we obviously have to beat Nicholls State,”” Bonvicini said. “”There are no easy games on our schedule. I think the opening game is a big day for everyone, and we’re excited.””