Police Beat: April 24, 2012

Police finger underage drinker

A resident assistant from Arizona-Sonora Residence Hall called the University of Arizona Police Department and told them that a male resident sliced his finger in half by slamming it in a door at 12:57 a.m. on Thursday. Officers and paramedics from the Tucson Fire Department arrived at the dorm and found the man washing blood off his finger in the restroom. The man told officers he was leaving his room and slammed the door behind him without moving his finger out of the way in time. He then told officers that earlier that night, he drank three glasses of wine and had a “puff” of marijuana. He also told them he was previously arrested twice for drinking underage. While the student spoke to the officers, they noticed the smell of alcohol coming from his breath and that he had red, watery eyes.

Paramedics took him and the remainder of his finger to the University of Arizona Medical Center while UAPD officers asked the RA to contact someone to clean up his blood in the dorm’s bathroom. The student was issued a Code of Conduct violation and was referred to the Dean of Students Office.

As officers started walking out of the dorm, they noticed the smell of marijuana coming from down the hall. They searched one of the rooms and found four male students sitting in a circle around a green, leafy substance. Officers spoke to the man who lived in the room and asked where he got the substance. He told them he got it at an “off-campus location,” and officers said he should review the UA’s drug policy and throw out the substance. The male fled the scene, and there is no information about him at this time.

Vandals make their mark

Janitors were cleaning the men’s restroom in the Steward Observatory when they saw graffiti markings on some of the stalls at 10:41 a.m. on Thursday. One of the janitors called UAPD, and officers responded to the scene and located the graffiti. One of the markings was a large black swastika, and officers called Facilities Management to clean up the graffiti. Facilities Management workers cleaned the site and replaced the drywall. Officers searched for materials and suspects in the surrounding areas, but were unable to find any. There is no further information at this time.