Free on iTunes: June 22

To spare you the potentially wasted minutes and near-certain embarrassment of acquiring crappy music, let’s put on our driving goggles, take a ride down the information superhighway, and listen to some free music. Here’s what you should know about this week’s free songs from iTunes:

This week, in response to the outcry over their reduced selection of free songs last week, iTunes is offering just one song for free download.

“History’s Door”
    Husky

Most people form an immediate judgment about a song and/or artist based on the cover art of whatever they’re listening to. Thus, it’s often disappointing when an awesomely decorated album contains barely listenable music. On the other hand, sometimes poor cover art sets expectations low and then the music exceeds those expectations.

Such was the case with “History’s Door” by Husky.

The picture looks like a boy band trying — and failing — to seem cool and indie. The song, however, is much more authentic. Fingerpicked guitar, rhythmic piano and a galloping drumbeat support the Coldplay-esque vocals, with a couple breaks in the flow to ensure the song holds your interest.

The occasional “ooo-whee-ooo”s come off as placeholders for some other, more meaningful sound or lyric, but those are the only jarring moments in an otherwise smooth and enjoyable piece of music. The lyrics themselves are poetic without being pretentious, and they fit well with the misty, just-before-the-sunrise vibe the music gives off.

Bottom line: worth downloading if you feel like some chill, consistent indie-pop.