What’s in a name?

Pole-vaulter Nick Mossberg, aka The Rook and Lil Sex, attempts a vault at the Arizona Invitational Track Meet Saturday. Mossberg and his teammates have a unique set of pseudonyms, including Beans, Danimal and Double X.
    Pole-vaulter Nick Mossberg, aka ‘The Rook’ and ‘Lil’ Sex,’ attempts a vault at the Arizona Invitational Track Meet Saturday. Mossberg and his teammates have a unique set of pseudonyms, including ‘Beans,’ ‘Danimal’ and ‘Double X.’

Beans. The Danimal. Uncle Troy. Nik the Quick. Double X. Jumpman. Jumpman Jr. Blockbuster. Big Sex. Little Sex.

There is definitely no shortage of creativity within the track and field team when it comes to nicknames.

Pole-vaulter Nick Mossberg was initially “”The Rook”” after he transferred onto the team in 2006 from Pima Community College, but that changed after he began calling thrower Jarred Sola “”Big Sex.””

“”He’s ‘Big Sexiness’ on the track; everything is nice and smooth,”” Mossberg said of Sola. “”He carried it down, saying ‘Little sex is following in my footsteps.’ “”

The two even formed a Facebook group called “”Whatcha know about Big Sex – Lil’ Sex.””

Mossberg and Sola have a “”psychological bond off the field,”” said close friend Brian Bank, a political science senior, who cheers on Mossberg by yelling, “”Come on, Little Sex!””

Shawn Best, a thrower, is known as “”Beans”” to many on the field. He was given the moniker because he was constantly quoting rapper/actor Beanie Sigel’s lines from the movie “”State Property.””

Best, an offensive lineman last season, said the football team called him “”Rick Ross”” because his large size and beard make him look similar to rapper Rick Ross.

As if “”Beans”” and “”Rick Ross”” weren’t enough names for one man, Best proudly added another to his cache of pseudonyms: “”Bestonian Ellis Fansworth III – that’s my alias,”” he said.

Senior sprinter Troy Harris earned the nickname “”Uncle Troy”” because of his genuine compassion for everyone on the team, Harris said.

Thrower Dan Austin got his name from an article of clothing.

“”I had a shirt that said ‘Danimal’ on the back,”” he said. “”I wore it one day and (the team was) like ‘Oh, that’s great.’ “”

He’s been “”Danimal”” ever since.

Sprinter Nikki Martin is called “”Nik the Quick,”” while fellow senior Marquita Taylor has been dubbed “”Marquita the leada.””

Said Harris: “”Marquita the leada cause she runs like a cheetah.””

Other nicknames include “”Double X”” for sprinter Xuehan Xiong and “”Blockbuster”” for UA multi-events and jumps coach Sheldon Blockburger.

Jumper Jordan Powell seemed a little down about his nickname.

“”They call (jumper Daniel Marshall) ‘Jumpman’ and they call me ‘Jumpman Jr.,’ “” he said. “”I don’t know why I can’t be ‘Jumpman.’ “”