Tim Bee Vice President of Government Relations resigns

Tim Bee
Government and Community Relations
Tim Bee

Tim Bee, vice president of Government and Community Relations at the University of Arizona, has resigned as of Dec. 30. 

Bee held an important role at the university, serving for more than six years “as a key liaison between the University and the Legislature,” according to a UA News press release announcing his resignation.

RELATED: UA sends lobbyists to Phoenix, D.C.

The UA’s Office of the Secretary of the University said that the position of vice president of government and community relations “leads the UA in developing relationships with policymakers and establishing the university’s agenda when interacting with all levels of government.”

Bee had worked for the UA since May 2011 and held the position of vice president since 2014. Under Bee’s direction, the office accomplished much, including opening a UA federal relations office in Washington D.C. and acquiring funding for UA programs such as UA Cooperative Extension, the Arizona Geological Survey and the veterinary medicine facility.

Before joining the university, Bee served in the Arizona State Senate from 2001 to 2009 and was president of the Senate in 2007. Bee also ran former-Governor Jan Brewer’s Tucson office. 

“I am confident that the talented individuals on the Government and Community Relations team will carry forward the efforts needed for the UA’s continued success,” Bee said the UA News press release. “It is now time for me to seek an opportunity that allows me to both pursue my passion of public service and spend more time with my family.”

RELATED: UA Foundation paying for lobbyists

Bee told the The Arizona Daily Star that he will not run for office in the next year, but hasn’t ruled out running after that.

When asked to comment, the Office of Government and Community Relations would not provide any information regarding Bee’s interim replacement or the state of the search for Bee’s permanent replacement.

Follow the Daily Wildcat on Twitter