FINAL: Arizona uses second half surge to defeat Cal 73-51

Arizona forward Rondae Hollis-Jefferson get a dunk during Arizona’s 73-51 win against California in the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas, Nev. on Thursday.

LAS VEGAS — Arizona men’s basketball pulled away from an upset-minded California squad to win 73-51 in the Pac-12 Tournament quarterfinals

The No. 1 seeded Wildcats (29-3) outscored the Golden Bears (18-15) 40-24 in the second half to advance to the semifinals, where they will face the winner of No. 4 seed UCLA and No. 12 seed USC tomorrow night at 6:10 p.m. on the Pac-12 Networks.

Arizona forward Stanley Johnson scored 19 points and grabbed seven rebounds. Forward Brandon Ashley scored 15 points and had seven rebounds.

UA shot 47 percent from the field, 55 percent from three and 88 percent from the free throw line. Cal shot 34 percent, 29 percent from beyond the arc and 63 percent from the charity stripe.

Arizona forward Rondae Hollis-Jefferson scored 10 points and had six rebounds. Point guard T.J. McConnell scored 13 points and dished out six assists.

Cal guard Tyrone Wallace scored 19 points.

Game notes

-Arizona beat California 73-50 and 99-60 during the regular season

-The Wildcats led for 34:37

-UA outrebounded Cal 37-36

Check in with us later today for a full recap and analysis column from the action.

_______________

Follow James Kelley on Twitter.