Wildcats baseball postponed due to rain

Trailing 7-4 to Washington State (17-13, 4-5 Pac-12), Arizona’s (21-11, 6-6) Friday night game in Pullman, Wash. was postponed in the 8th inning due to rain and will resume today at noon.

Wildcats’ fell behind early after Arizona starting pitcher Konner Wade (3-2) gave up four runs in the second inning to the Cougars.

The first three batters in the bottom of the second reached base on a double, single and then another double. Washington State recorded four of their six hits in the second inning alone. To go along with the four hits, Wade threw a wild pitch and hit a batter.

Despite his early struggles, Arizona’s Friday night ace continued past the second inning and go till the postponement. Wade went the total 7.0 innings, giving up seven runs in the process. The Cougars struck for a run in the third and two more in the sixth.

Wade earned five of the seven runs, as the junior gave up six hits on the night. At times Wade’s command appeared shaky, as three Washington State batters were walked and two batters were hit by pitch in the seven innings.

Friday night’s game wouldn’t be close if it wasn’t for Wildcats’ center fielder Johnny Field, who is 2-for-4 with four RBI. Field first got Arizona on the bored immediately following the four-run second inning by the Cougars. Field launched a two-run home run over the left field fence in the top of the third inning, also scoring right fielder Joseph Maggi, who had singled in the prior at bat.

Field’s fourth home run on the season tightened Washington State’s lead to 4-2. The junior once again closed the gap in the seventh inning. With Arizona trailing 7-2, Field delivered, with a two out two-run triple. The three-bagger was also Field’s fourth on the season and were his 27th and 28th RBIs.

Wade shut down the Cougars’ bats in the bottom of the seventh. Between the seventh and eighth inning is when the rain began to fall. Even though Washington State has a turf field, the rain was too heavy and was not expected to stop anytime soon.

Arizona head coach Andy Lopez made some slight changes to his Friday night lineup. Sophomore catcher Riley Moore was given the night off, as freshman David Real got his third start of the season behind the dish. Real is 1-for-2 with a walk in the game. He singled through the right side to lead off the fifth inning, but was quickly thrown out stealing.

Sophomore Trent Gilbert injured his ankle last Saturday against California and was limited to designated hitter in the following game on Sunday. Friday, Gilbert got the start at his regular second base position and extended his hit streak to nine games as he singled past the Washington State shortstop Trace Tam Sing in the first inning.

Due to left handed starting Cougars pitcher, Joe Pistorese (3-2), Lopez gave right handed hitting freshman Scott Kingery the opportunity to ripen with a start at designated hitter. Kingery batted in the sixth hole to start the game and went 1-2 with a single in the fifth.

Fellow freshman Jackson Willieford pinch hit for Kingery after Washington State brought in right handed relief pitcher Chris McDowell to start the seventh. Willieford led off the inning with a swinging strikeout on a 1-2 count.

Friday night’s game has been rescheduled to resume Saturday at noon with Field leading off the top of the eighth. Saturday’s already scheduled game will start roughly 30 minuets following the conclusion of the postponed game. Wade will most likely not return.