Live Blog: Johnson’s dunk helps UA pull away

Colin Darland
Colin Darland / Daily Wildcat

Game story

*****

Final: Arizona 63, Clemson 47

*****

With less than one minute to play, the Wildcats are up 63-47. This one is pretty much over.

*****

Second half highlight: Off a no-look pass from Turner, Johnson brings McKale Center to its feet and awakens a sleeping crowd with his third dunk of the day. The freshman is the Wildcats’ leading scorer with 14 points. Wildcats up 57-42.

*****

Free-throws continue to be an issue for Arizona. The Wildcats are just 7-for-12 from the line. Clemson has climbed back into this game, trailing by just 7 points with 4:23 left in the game.

*****

Clemson hits a three, and has narrowed the lead to 10 points. Fans getting antsy in McKale.

*****

The Tigers started to creeping back into the game with a 11-5 run, but Lavender just drilled a three-pointer to put the Wildcats’ lead back at 15.

*****

At this point, you’d really like to see Arizona put the game away against Clemson. The Wildcats have steady lead against the Tigers all half, but a run here would seal it.

*****

The Tigers are shooting only 28 percent from the floor. The Wildcats should have more than a 14-point lead at this point.

*****

Mayes runs the floor for a layup, extending Arizona’s lead to 18. Tigers forced to take a timeout.

*****

Johnson opens the half on fire with a bucket, block and assist.

*****

Halftime story:

*****

Jordin Mayes hits a layup to end the Wildcats’ scoring drought from the field. HALFTIME: Arizona leads 29-16.

*****

Clemson is a on a 6-1 run. The last time the Wildcats scored from the field was at the 6:17 mark of the first half.

*****

Josiah Turner is making an impact in this game. He did not play against Florida due to a one-game suspension. He’s had a nice transitional game and has scored three points so far.

*****

Nick Johnson with another dunk. The freshman’s leaping ability has already been shown off twice today.

*****

A first half highlight: Kyle Fogg alley-oops to Nick Johnson on the in-bounds pass. Impressive finish.

*****

The Wildcats are 3-of-6 from beyond the arc and 5-for-11 from the floor. The Wildcats are out-rebounding Clemson 11 to 7. Arizona with the 15-8 lead with 11 minutes left in the half.

*****

The number of missed shots are beginning to pile up. The Tigers are 1-for-10 from the field. Josiah Turner, who missed the Florida game, due to a one-game suspension, made his first shot after he entered the game.

*****

Wildcats have a 7-2 lead on Clemson early in the first half. Wildcats have managed to hold Clemson to just one score, a layup on Clemson’s first possession.

*****

Nick Johnson, Kyle Fogg, Solomon Hill, Jesse Perry and Jordin Mayes are starting for the Wildcats against Clemson. Just about two minutes until introductions at McKale Center.