No. 15 Laxcats open conference play at home

The No. 15 Arizona men’s club lacrosse team could strengthen its at-large bid hopes with an important slate of games this weekend at Murphey Field.

The Laxcats (8-3, 2-1 Western Collegiate Lacrosse League) have a tough schedule as they take on two of the four teams in the South Division, which is one of four divisions in the conference, including division leader No. 5 UC-San Diego (8-2, 4-1) tomorrow at 1 p.m.

“”This is the most important game of the year,”” said senior close defender Carson Parmelee. “”This game determines a lot for us.””

Arizona finishes the weekend against San Diego State (4-5, 1-4) on Sunday at 1 p.m.

The Laxcats must win the conference to receive an automatic bid to the postseason but still have a shot to get an at-large bid, as Parmelee said the conference typically gets four at-large teams.

The Laxcats have been on the road since Feb. 20 and the team feels glad to be home, said head coach Kenny Broschart.

The Laxcats have yet to lose a game at home and are looking to continue the streak this weekend.

“”It’s very nice to be home,”” Broschart said. “”We tend to play better when we play at our home stadium.””

Broschart said the Laxcats have a handful this weekend with UCSD.

“”They have two of the best attackmen in the league,”” Broschart said. “”Our defense is really going to need to step up.””

The defense is fully aware of who they will face this weekend.

“”We are going to throw a lot of different looks at them,”” Parmelee said. “”We have a strong goalie, and as long as we man up I think we will be in good shape.””

Senior attackman Steve Luna said he thinks a strong offense might be the best defense.

“”We need to do what we did to (No. 10) Lindenwood last weekend,”” Luna said. “”We need to hold the ball on offense for as long as we can and keep it away from their offense.””

On Sunday the Laxcats face a less talented but dangerous SDSU team.

“”(Against) SDSU we need to play out our system,”” Broschart said. “”As long as we play our game, I think we should be all right.””