Fast Facts

• About 70 percent of the Earth is covered with water, but only one percent of that water is drinkable.
  • Richard Milhous Nixon’s name contains all the letters from the word “”criminal.”” He was the first U.S. president to hold this distinction.
  • Baby robins eat 14 feet of earthworms a day.
  • The Red Sea is named after the algae that, when dying, turns the sea’s normally intense blue-green water to red.
  • Gold is so rare that all of the pure gold produced in the last 500 years would fit inside a 50-foot cube.
  • Nosology is the study of the classification of diseases.
  • An astronaut orbiting Earth can see as many as 16 sunrises and sunsets every 24 hours.
  • Vatican City is the country with the lowest divorce rate. It is also the country with the lowest birth rate.
  • One-hump camels run faster than two-hump camels.
  • Between 1947 and 1959, 42 nuclear devices were detonated in the Marshall Islands in the northwest Pacific Ocean.
  • Owls are the only birds that can see the color blue.
  • The 1960 movie “”Thirteen Ghosts”” was shown in what was called Illusion-O, which required the audience to wear special glasses to see the ghouls onscreen.
  • Grey Nurse sharks are cannibals even before they’re born. The young grow jaws and teeth while still in the uterus, and sometimes devour each other inside the womb.
  • Lucky Charms cereal once offered green tree-shaped marshmallows as a promotion for Earth Day.
  • Animal crackers come in 18 different “”species.””
  • The water in Utah’s Great Salt Lake is six times saltier than seawater.