A look at this year’s Spring Fling

Baraha Elkhalil

Delta Sigma Phi fraternity members and volunteers work to hang up the booth’s sign Wednesday afternoon on the UA Mall. The fraternity plans to raise money by selling pizookies during Spring Fling.

2015 marks the 41st anniversary of Spring Fling at the UA, which will partner with the UA Green Fund, the campus sustainability project, for the second time this year.

Issac Ortega, current president of the Associated Students of the University of Arizona, said this year Spring Fling was awarded four mini-grants through the Green Fund Committee and has worked very closely with the Office of Sustainability to ensure they put on a “great, clean event.”

“The Green Fund doesn’t create funding projects on its own, but rather takes applications from students, faculty and staff for projects they would like to fund, then decides which projects to fund out of those that have been proposed,” said Benjamin Champion, director of Sustainable UA, in an email.

Champion said the Office of Sustainability applied for and was granted funding through a mini-grant in the Green Fund to support the purchase of compostable food containers and napkins for the student organization vendors at Spring Fling this year.

“This will enable Compost Cats and Students for Sustainability to recycle and compost the majority of waste from Spring Fling,” Champion said. “This is a continuation of efforts that were initiated with last year’s Spring Fling.” 

Ortega said that because Spring Fling is a part of ASUA, all areas of ASUA help out to make this event happen.

“For example, our Wildcat Events Board helped bring Smallpools for the concert on Friday and our club resource center help put out the word for clubs to be fundraisers at the event,” Ortega said.

There will be live performances by KRQ’s DJ – Dwayne Chavez, People Who Could Fly, Y the MC, Ivan Lives the Undergrad, Black N’ Blue Hip Hop Crew, Academy, Smallpools, Amplified Acapella and Saguaro Stompers at Spring Fling this year.

Guests can also expect a variety of different thrilling rides and attractions, including the Bungy Jump and rides like Tilt-a-whirl and Mega Drop.

“We are proud to have this event back again on the UA campus so come out to support our clubs and organizations,” Ortega said. “This event was created to be fundraiser for clubs and organizations. Last year, we raised thousands of dollars for each club that participated, and we want to repeat this year.” 

Codi Jacobsen, a public health sophomore, said Spring Fling is amazing, and everyone should experience it at least once in their lifetime.

“My favorite memory from Spring Fling last year was meeting the American Authors,” Jacobsen said.

Davis Harrison, a business economics junior, said he has never been to Spring Fling before, but that he plans to attend this year.

“It’s a tradition I don’t want to miss out on before I graduate,” Harrison said. “And I’m really excited about the rides and food.”

_______________

Follow Brandi Walker on Twitter.