Freshmen Homecoming opinions vary greatly depending on Greek life involvement

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Kristine Bruun-Andersen

Homecoming is a part of the UA college experience, and the class of 2019 is about to form its first impression of the 101-year-long tradition. 

According to the UA Alumni Association’s website, the alumni association hosts a variety of Homecoming activities, including the lighting of “A” Mountain, a barbecue, a bonfire, a parade and a tailgate party, along with other activities for returning alumni, such as awards and reunions.

The football game brings in the largest amount of student support for Homecoming; many students either do not participate in or are unaware of other Homecoming activities outside of the game. 

Hailey Tuohy is one of those people. 

“What even is Homecoming?” journalism freshman Tuohy asked. “I saw some stuff on Facebook about it, but that’s pretty much it.” 

On the other hand, the UA greek community involves itself in each Homecoming festivity. Sorority and fraternity chapters create much of the excitement around Homecoming week. 

“I’m expecting Homecoming to be big, with a lot of people involved, because we have so many people involved in Greek Life and other organizations at the UA,” said Paige Helfinstine, a journalism freshman and a member of a sorority on campus. 

Although similar in age demographic, Tuouhy and Helfinstine have completely different impressions of Homecoming as a whole.
    Arden Edgington, a nursing freshman and a sorority member, doesn’t have Homecoming events unrelated to Greek Life on her radar. 

“I’m assuming it’s just a week full of fun daily events put on by your greek chapter,” Edgington said. “Homecoming week seems to only include those in Greek Life or other large organizations.”

Many of the floats displayed at the Homecoming parade and shown all the way down to the football game are constructed by greek chapters and university-related clubs.

UA freshmen are sure to expect something much different from their high school Homecoming experiences, and they will definitely get it. 

Homecoming is meant to celebrate the return of alumni, as well as offer current students a time to unify as a community and appreciate their home.

Freshmen will hear about events and activities in their residence halls or online, but it could be that freshmen in Greek Life are simply more involved and aware of Homecoming excitement than those uninvolved in greek organizations.

The Alumni Association expects a large Homecoming turnout of Wildcats attending in support of their alma mater, as well as many current students, as there are every year.

Follow Kristine Bruun-Andersen on Twitter.