Spring Fling in full swing

Lisa Beth Earle/ Arizona Daily Wildcat

Undra Guyton helps her 4-year-old daughter, Chierra, grab her prize from Jade Fann, a pre-pharmacy freshman, at Spring Fling on Saturday, April 10, 2010. Chierra was out of tickets but stood her ground at the game until a generous stranger gave her some tickets to compete at the Rising Waters water race game.
Lisa Beth Earle
Lisa Beth Earle/ Arizona Daily Wildcat Undra Guyton helps her 4-year-old daughter, Chierra, grab her prize from Jade Fann, a pre-pharmacy freshman, at Spring Fling on Saturday, April 10, 2010. Chierra was out of tickets but stood her ground at the game until a generous stranger gave her some tickets to compete at the Rising Waters water race game.

The four-day festival touted as the largest student run carnival in the United States kicks off at Rillito Downs today.

In its 37th year, Spring Fling is run through the Associated Students of the University of Arizona and has around 3,000 student volunteers each year.

More than 120 clubs will participate in volunteering to help fund their programs.

Last year, Spring Fling brought in more than $40,000 for clubs.

The carnival will have nearly 30 carnival rides, food, games and live entertainment with a focus on reaching out beyond the student community.

Megan Brennan, public relations director for Spring Fling, said there has been a push to reach out to UA alumni and the Tucson community to participate this year. Bike safety training for children and family fun day on Sunday will offer events geared toward families, but Brennan said Spring Fling still has a lot to offer students.

“”It’s still a university event and a fundraiser,”” Brennan said. “”It’s still student run and organized, and that’s something we really wanted to push this year.””

Brennan said Spring Fling is an important part of the history of the UA, and she wants to see it continue to be a part of student culture. She added that the event is an example of an efficiently student-run program.

“”You get to see how a full student-run organization runs. It’s a carnival, but it’s a pretty big deal,”” Brennan said. “”It takes a lot of work and preparation.””

Admission is free to students who show a CatCard, and wristbands can be purchased for $25 for access to unlimited rides on Thursday and Friday night. Spring Fling will go on through Sunday.

The carnival opens from 4 p.m. until midnight on Thursday and Friday, noon to midnight on Saturday, and noon to 8 p.m. on Sunday.