Dressing for your destination

Vacations should be a time to relax and forget all your worries. Yet packing and planning out a vacation wardrobe can be more stressful than getting stuck in airport security lines. Keep these tips in mind for wherever your summer takes you, and planning and packing should be a breeze.

Oceanside Getaway

For Wildcats looking for a respite from the 90-degree weather, the beach scene is the most popular summer spot for relaxation. Fittingly, vacationers won’t want to put much thought into their outfit past the shorts-and-bikini combo. Therein lies the issue of heading straight from the beach to a nice restaurant or club – who wants to look like a grungy beach bum?

This season’s maillot and one-piece swimsuits allow for an easy transition from the sand to the scene. Hayden Harnett’s “”Clio”” and “”Daphne”” styles ($198 and $218, respectively) are both feminine and flirty, and, when paired with a skirt, can easily function as a tank top. Pair them with American Apparel’s high-waisted Mélange skirt ($30) to exude retro-chic style post-beach.

Boys can avoid the tacky board shorts and tee look by pairing beach-friendly cargos like Lucky Brand’s “”Cruise”” cargos ($79) with a slightly dressier polo or solid v-neck.

Europe & Destinations Abroad

Your outfit can say a lot about who you are, especially when travelling overseas. A quick glance at your spiffy white tennis shoes and fanny pack instantly scream “”Tourist!”” to locals. Opt for kicks that will keep your toes comfy on cobblestone streets and through long museum visits, but don’t skimp on style. Guys and the sportier set will appreciate styles from Puma or Onitsuka Tiger that provide cushioned soles and ample support for walking all day. Flat riding boots, like the “”Plover”” style from Born ($102) look European chic, without leaving toes blistered.

And as for the fanny pack? Trade up for a lightweight leather wristlet, like the “”Parker”” style from Coach ($78). The tiny pouch keeps all your essentials – bus pass, passport, cash – close at hand without weighing you down.

One can never go wrong with slim black denim (Seven for all Mankind, $137, bluefly.com) and a lightweight chambray button-down (J.Crew, $78)

New York City

Forget stereotypical black. Break out brightly colored tanks and tees, or a wildly printed dress. Remember, the fashion capital of the world is no stranger to unique style, so don’t be afraid to take a risk with your outfits while visiting.

The key to staying comfortable in the urban heat is layering. For daytime treks around the city, a simple lightweight cardigan layered over a tank with tailored shorts makes for a perfect summer combo.

And a quick word to the wise for the boys – make sure you leave the Red Sox gear at home.