Football Notebook: Pac-12 Media Day

Universal City, Calif. – At Pac-12 Media Day, Arizona football coach Roch Rodriguez and his coaching staff released their first depth chart, eight days prior to the start of preseason fall camp.

The Wildcats’ depth chart uses the word “or” 23 times, meaning that 23 of a possible 28 positions are open heading into camp, presumably how the coaching staff would like to keep it until someone separates themselves.

The positions that have a stable starter so far are:

-QB Matt Scott

-C Kyle Quinn

-RG Trace Biskin

-LB Jake Fischer

-LB Rob Hankins

-LB Hank Hobson

-S Jared Tevis

-S Vince Miles

-LS Brian Chacon

Arizona players report to training camp on Wednesday, August 1.

***

They said it

“Every (spring) practice felt like we were playing Oregon.” – linebacker Jake Fischer on keeping up with the spread offense in practice.

“Everyone’s working hard, there’s a new attitude around the football program.” – Fischer on what the new coaching staff has brought to the Wildcats.

“It’s a dream come true. I had a lot of fun in this system in high school. I put up big numbers. I’m ready to do the same here.” – quarterback Matt Scott on the offense.

“On Saturdays, fans will see a bunch of guys that will play their hardest on every snap. They had to commit to that.” – head coach Rich Rodriguez on the change in mindset since his hiring.

“We’re fortunate he’s here with us. The best decision the last coaching staff ever made was to redshirt (starting quarterback) Matt Scott.” – head coach Rich Rodriguez.