Police Beat

A man was arrested for marijuana possession and possession of prescription drugs at the intersection of North Campbell Avenue and East Mabel Street at 11:15 a.m. Thursday.

Police stopped a white Acura for its failure to drive in one lane and because the vehicle had an attempt-to-locate order on it from the Tucson Police Department. As an officer passed by the driver’s side door, a man in the passenger seat was seen putting items under his seat. When questioned by police, the man said he wasn’t doing anything.

The driver gave the officer his documents and seemed very nervous, shaking as he spoke. He said there was no contraband in the car but would not consent to a search of the vehicle.

At the same time, the passenger was putting more items under his seat, including an aluminum foil box. He was put into handcuffs and taken outside; the driver also exited the car.

The officer looked under the seat and could see a prescription medication bottle containing what looked like marijuana. The officer also found two orange pills in the bottle, and inside some folded tin foil, the officer found a burnt black residue resembling black tar heroin.

The passenger told the officer the tablets were Suboxone – a drug used for curbing opiate dependency – for which he had no prescription.

The man was cited and released at the scene but told he could face felony charges.

A Parking and Transportation Services employee called police after finding drug paraphernalia in the courtyard near Villa del Puente Residence Hall, 575 N. Highland Ave., at 7:45 a.m. Thursday.

The employee had found a marijuana pipe in one of the cactus planters. The pipe was made of glass and had a swirling-white-and-red design.

It was placed into evidence and may be destroyed.

Police stopped a student carrying a metal patio chair at the intersection of East Fourth Street and North Park Avenue at 1:20 a.m. Thursday.

An officer noticed a group of men walking southbound on North Park Avenue and decided to ask the man with the chair where he found it. Before the officer reached him, an employee from Pita Pit, 845 E. University Blvd., pulled up and approached the man. The employee said the chair looked exactly like the ones outside the restaurant.

The man told the officer his friend handed him the chair as they walked on East University Boulevard and that it did not belong to his friend. As the man was talking, the officer noticed he had the smell of alcohol on his breath and that his speech was slurred. The man told the officer he had four beers at an off-campus party.

The Pita Pit employee informed the officer that the restaurant would not prosecute the man if the chair was returned. He returned the chair.

The man was deferred to the Dean of Students Office for underage drinking, theft and failure to produce identification.

University of Arizona Police Department officers assisted Tucson Police Department officers in breaking up a loud house party at 629 N. Seventh Ave. at 10:15 p.m. Oct. 31.

UAPD responded to the party and spoke with the highest-ranking member of Sigma Alpha Epsilon fraternity. He told an officer that there were a lot of Sigma Alpha brothers at the party, but that the fraternity was not sponsoring it.

The officer informed the fraternity member that the incident would be forwarded to the Dean of Students Office. TPD then resumed control of the investigation.

? ? ?

The east and west walls of the Highland Avenue Tunnel were tagged with black and silver spray paint sometime before 4 p.m. Oct. 31.

A Facilities Management employee reported finding graffiti on both sides of the tunnel. On one of the walls, someone had sprayed “”YERM$ FUCK”” in black paint. The writing was about 8 inches tall by 3 feet long.

A silver-painted tag on the other wall read “”ZORAK”” and was about 10 inches tall by 2 feet long.

The other walls had two more phrases painted in black: “”SNOBS,”” which was about 10 inches tall by 2 feet long, and “”WERL,”” which was also 10 inches tall by 2 feet long.

UA maintenance workers were sent to clean up the graffiti.