Police Beat: Oct. 16

Some things are just too expensive

University of Arizona Police Department officers responded to the UofA Bookstore on Oct. 7 at 3:09 p.m. in reference to a shoplifter in custody. Upon arrival, officers met with a bookstore employee who told them that a juvenile male had been detained for attempting to steal a pair of headphones. The employee led officers to a conference room where the male was in custody. According to the man, he wanted the headphones but felt they were too expensive to pay for. He claimed he put them into his pocket and walk out of the bookstore, where employees contacted him. Officers attempted to telephone the man’s mother but were forced to leave a voice message. The man was arrested on charges of shoplifting and transported to Pima County Juvenile Corrections Center where he was booked. The man’s mother called police later in the evening and was informed of the incident.

You know, that anti-seizure medication …

UAPD officers met with a student at the UAPD station on Oct. 7 at 3:50 p.m. in reference to threats against his health. According to the student, on Sept. 25 he had moved to Colonia de la Paz Residence Hall from Pueblo de la Cienega Residence Hall. At approximately 6 p.m. on Oct. 6, he invited his new roommate to hang out. After the third request, his roommate responded, “”If you ask me again, I’m going to break your fucking neck.”” He left the room without feeling threatened. He awoke on Oct. 7 at approximately 11 a.m. to find his roommate also awake. The roommate again made the same comment as he had the night before. The student admitted that he was afraid to sleep in the same room as his new roommate. He also told police that he had already made temporary arrangements to sleep elsewhere and had requested a new room assignment through Residence Life. According to police, the roommate claimed to be taking anti-seizure medication for a brain tumor that had been removed. He also claimed that his new roommate was always asking him to do things he did not want to do, and admitted to threatening him. The Colonia de la Paz community director told police that the man would be assigned a single room in the future. The incident has been referred to the Dean of Students Office.

Delinquents damage electrical boxes

UAPD officers responded to Park Avenue Parking Garage on Oct. 8 at 7:44 a.m. in reference to a report of criminal damage. Upon arrival, officers met with a university employee who led them to the west side of the parking structure. There, officers located and photographed two damaged electrical boxes. Police have no suspects or witnesses at this time.

Owner finds vehicle damaged at Main Gate Garage

UAPD officers were dispatched to Main Gate Parking Garage on Oct. 8 at 11:49 a.m. in reference to criminal damage. Upon arrival, officers met with the owner of a silver Dodge pickup truck. According to the owner, he had parked his vehicle in the garage at 8:30 p.m. on Oct. 3 and returned Oct. 8 at 11:49 a.m. to find the vehicle damaged. The man led police to his truck, where officers observed that the driver’s door lock had been punched out and both the steering wheel and ignition switch had been broken. No other damage to the vehicle was found and no items were reported missing. Police have no suspects or witnesses at this time.

Vehicle break-in reported at campus fraternity

UAPD officers were dispatched to the Phi Gamma Delta fraternity house, 1801 E. 1st St., on Oct. 8 at 12:19 p.m. in reference to a vehicle break-in. Upon arrival, officers met with the owner of a purple Toyota 4Runner. According to the man, he had parked his car in the lot west of the fraternity house on Oct. 7 at approximately 10:30 p.m. When he returned on Oct. 8 at 11:30 a.m., he noticed that the passenger window had been shattered and an iPod had been taken from the center console. Police have no suspects or leads at this time.

Lack of brake lamps leads to several citations

UAPD officers were on routine patrol of northbound Speedway Boulevard on Oct. 8 at 6 p.m. when they observed a tan-colored Ford displaying an expired Arizona registration and operating with a non-working brake lamp. Officers pulled over the car and contacted the driver, who identified herself using an Arizona driver’s license. The woman claimed to know the registration was expired, stating, “”Yeah, I knew about the plate. I haven’t driven my car in a while.”” The woman also admitted to not having insurance on the vehicle. A records check revealed that the vehicle registration had been suspended along with the woman’s driver’s license. The woman was cited on charges of driving on a suspended license, displaying suspended license plates, failure to provide proof of insurance and operating a vehicle without required brake lamps. The woman’s vehicle was towed for a mandatory 30-day impound and she was release on scene.