Defense Stanford’s forte

Breaking down the Cardinal

No. 10 Stanford enters the three-game series with a 30-6, 4-2 Pacific 10 Conference record, good for a tie for third place in the conference. The Cardinal is coming off a loss at Oregon State, which snapped a three game winning streak extending back to April 6. Like Arizona, Stanford will throw a freshman ace in the circle — Teagan Gerhart who is sporting a 1.58 ERA and a 22-5 record this season.

In the circle

Gerhart has 169 strikeouts in 185.2 innings and opponents are hitting just .177 on the season. In her last outing, Gerhart gave up seven runs on 10 hits in 5.2 innings. Arizona’s own freshman ace, Kenzie Fowler, also struggled in her last outing, allowing nine runs off eight hits in 5.1 innings. Compared with Fowler’s 1.23 ERA, 205 strikeouts in 148 innings pitched and 21-5 record, the match will be even in the circle for both teams.

Up there

The Cardinal ranks in the top-30 in six statistical categories with its highest ranking at eighth in win-loss percentage (.833) and fielding percentage (.976). The fielding percentage leads all Pac-10 schools. Stanford ranks 21st in batting percentage (.391) and 17th in ERA (1.72). There is only one pitcher on the Cardinal’s rotation with an ERA over 2.00, but they have five players batting over .300.

Defense comes first

Stanford has recorded a shutout in 17 of its 30 wins this season, including seven run-ruled shortened games. Eleven of the 30 wins were curtailed by the eight-after-five run rule. Senior catcher Rosey Neill is the two-time Pac-10 Defensive Player of the Year. She has recorded 1,563 outs as well as a .992 career fielding percentage.

Last meeting

Arizona last met with the No. 10 Stanford Cardinal in the Super Regionals on the way to last year’s NCAA Women’s College Women’s World Series. Arizona took the series on a Game 3, 6-5 victory. Former pitcher Lindsey Sisk struck out 14 Cardinal batters on the way to the win that sent Arizona to its 21st consecutive College World Series. The all-time series record is 47-8-1 with the Wildcats taking the commanding lead. Stanford is 3-20 over the last 20 seasons in Tucson.