Allonzo Trier suspended indefinitely by NCAA for another positive PED test

Simon Asher
Arizona’s Allonzo Trier looks for a teammate ot pass to during the second half of the UA-USC game on Saturday, Feb. 10 at McKale Center in Tucson, Ariz.

Junior guard Allonzo Trier has been suspended indefinitely by the NCAA after testing positive for the reappearance of a “trace amount” of a banned substance in screening taken back in late January . 

The NCAA agreed that the reappearance of the drug stems from the amount Trier ingested in 2016 and as a result was suspended for the first 19 games of Arizona’s 2016-17 season. 

Below is a full statement released by Arizona Athletics on Feb. 22

Last year, when UA revealed that Trier had tested positive for a banned substance in January of 2017, Trier released a statement and said that he “never knowingly taken a banned substance” and he was “given a banned substance by a well-intentioned, but misguided person not associated with the University.” 

Arizona will appeal the decision but for now it appears that UA’s chances of making it to the Final Four in April have taken a giant hit. 

In 27 games this year, Trier has averaged a career high of 19.6 points per game with a 54.1 shooting percentage. Trier was also recently named to the Wooden Award Late Season Top 20. 

Follow Alec White on Twitter