Campus Roundup

New VP of instruction appointed

President Robert Shelton has promoted Juan Garcia to vice president for instruction, the UA announced Friday.

Garcia, previously the vice provost for faculty affairs, will oversee the quality and delivery of instruction in all of the university’s colleges, schools, departments and centers.

Additionally, he will oversee academic support programs, including the Manuel T. Pacheco Integrated Learning Center.

Garcia joined the UA faculty in 1981 with the history department. He has served as that department’s head, as well as associate dean for the College of Social and Behavioral Sciences and vice provost for academic affairs.

His appointment is pending approval from the Arizona Board of Regents, who will next meet March 6-7 in Tempe.

Medical college gets new associate dean

William R. Elger has joined the College of Medicine as its new senior associate dean for administration and finance, the college announced Wednesday.

Elger, the chief financial officer and executive director for administration at the University of Michigan Medical School, will begin March 24.

He will replace Patricia A. St. Germain, who is retiring from the college after 30 years.

Elger has been with Michigan since 1989 and since has been responsible for all business and financial activities.

Under his leadership, the college has developed an operating budget of $1 billion, research revenue of nearly $350 million and patient-care revenue of $375 million, according to the release.

Professor to get biotech award

Laurence Hurley, a professor in medicinal chemistry and pharmaceutical sciences, will receive the Paul R. Dawson Biotechnology Award in July, the College of Pharmacy announced Feb. 19.

The award is affiliated with the American Association of Colleges of Pharmacy. It is given annually to an individual for contributions to contemporary teaching and scholarship in biotechnology.

Hurley is the College of Pharmacy’s Howard Schaeffer Chair in Pharmaceutical Sciences and associate director of the BIO5 Institute.

This will be the second award he has received from the American Association of Colleges of Pharmacy. He was given the Volwiler Research Achievement Award in 1989.