Mailbag: Oct. 15

Left turn arrows needed at dangerous intersections

I was horrified to learn of the accident that occurred at the corner of Sixth Street and Highland Avenue on Oct. 12 (“”UA Student Suffers Life-Threatening Injuries After Car Accident””). The incident made it tragically clear that the design of the intersection poses a serious threat to the safety of those passing through it.  

When making a left turn, motor vehicles must wait for that magic moment at which there is a pause in both vehicular and pedestrian traffic. During peak hours, that moment may never arrive, and a would-be benign left turn can transform an unassuming intersection into a zone rife with danger. It is harrowing enough that pedestrians assume so much risk when legally crossing a street; for us to feel a sense of dread while simply standing on a sidewalk is absolutely unacceptable.

We cannot wait for another tragedy to occur before we take action to make the campus area a safer place in which to travel. I hope that the community will join me in demanding that a turn arrow be installed at Sixth Street and Highland Avenue and all other high-risk intersections. Additionally, it is imperative that all individuals — no matter their mode of transportation — consistently obey traffic laws and take extra precautions to ensure the security of themselves and those around them.

Stephanie Jaffa, Senior majoring in Spanish and political science

Stoops over hoops

The balance between the two major revenue-producing sports of football and basketball at the University of Arizona is a fun debate. It is simply too much fun to rant “”Stoops over hoops.”” During this recent momentum swing in the football direction we have hosted ESPN’s College Gameday, showcasing our beautiful university (only to be tarnished in the last two minutes of the game, don’t get me started), won a bowl game, finished second in the Pac-10 and plans are underway to renovate Arizona Stadium.  

No doubt, the men’s basketball program is in great hands with head coach Sean Miller and I’m not here to disrespect the decades of excellence in basketball. I came to school here partly because of the big-time basketball to support. However, football is clearly on the rise and the ZonaZoo needs to come along for the ride. Stay the whole game, be loud and proud; and if you’re not going to support the team through the ups and downs, don’t come. No longer are we hearing chants of “”basketball season.”” As long as we continue to progress on the football field, we will continue to gain national respect. The retiring of the jerseys of some of the UA’s great football players later this season is a big step in taking football more seriously on campus. Maybe with the history of “”Desert Swarm Defense”” and defensive backs such as Chuck Cecil and Antoine Cason, one day we can become known as “”Secondary U.””  

Will Salzman, Latin American studies senior