17-year-old charged with sexually abusing woman in Schnucks parking lot

A 17-year-old Alton man has been charged with aggravated criminal sexual abuse and attempted robbery.

Latayuss J. Curry, of 1400 State St., is accused of approaching a woman in the Godfrey Schnucks parking lot at 2712 Godfrey Road about 2:15 a.m. April 12 while the woman was walking from the store to her car.

According to a police report, the woman said Curry asked her for the time and she checked her cell phone. After she gave him the time, Curry allegedly pulled his pants down and exposed himself to her. The woman walked to her car and was followed by Curry, who police said continually inquired whether she needed help carrying her groceries despite the woman telling him she did not need his help.

Once the woman reached her car and began loading groceries, Curry is accused again of dropping his pants and not only exposing himself to the victim but also rubbing himself against her. The woman reported Curry then took her wallet from her hand which she immediately grabbed back from him.

When she grabbed her wallet back, Curry fled the area on foot.

The woman reported the incident to the Madison County Sheriff’s Department, and Curry was arrested April 14 by the Alton Police Department in connection with a similar incident that occurred on State Street in Alton.

Curry has been charged with aggravated criminal sexual abuse and unlawful restraint in connection with the Alton incident, according to Madison County Sheriff’s Capt. Brad Wells.

Curry remains in police custody in the Madison County Jail on $100,000 bond.