Hey producer: UA math sophomore turns passion for music into a record label

Logan Cook

Colin Bauer, singer and guitarist for band Closet Goth, runs a record label called Warped Your Records. He is pictured here at KAMP radio station at the Park Student Union on Jan. 28, where he is alternative music director.

Colin Bauer started his record label, Warped Your Records, as an outlet to express his passion for music and a way to share the creative process with fellow artists.

Daily Wildcat: When and why did you start Warped Your Records?

Colin Bauer: I started it in August 2015 because it was an awkward time in my life where I didn’t feel like making my own music, but still wanted to have a hand in someone’s process. It started with putting a tape out for my best buds, Elementals, who are from Ottawa, Canada.

RELATED: Hey, Barista: Black Crown Coffee’s owner saved his former favorite coffee shop

What inspired you to make and produce music?

CB: I started playing and recording music in high school as a way to keep myself busy, as I was one of few people in my hometown that didn’t feel like getting hooked on heroin or meth. It was a great way to cope with weird feelings felt in a weird hometown in Pennsylvania.

How do you manage school work and your record label?

CB: It’s not that hard. I just make sure I keep a weekend free so that I can dub some cassettes and put wholehearted effort into a few releases. Most notably, I made 250 tapes in one day with the help of my mother and a few great friends. On the regular though, I have to divvy up time to reach the post office every week for mail order.

How has Warped Your Records affected your view on the music business and do you see yourself producing music in the future?

CB: Running a tiny label makes you hate major labels and corporate music even more. How come they deserve the money I generate on streaming platforms? Corporate labels are inherently capitalists out to exploit their artists and I’m not into that. I refuse to sign contracts because I would hate to have the corrupt government involved in something so powerful (music).

RELATED: Hey Barista: Find a respite from the daily grind at Presta Coffee

Do you actively search for new bands, how do you find them?

CB: I go to a lot of shows, so I encounter a lot of acts. On accident, I discover a few. Most notably, The Expos, which I’m the guitar player in now. I agreed to put out their second and third albums without ever meeting Aaron (the mastermind of the Expos). I just took the word of my friend that said they were really good. Shout out to Chris for telling me that and changing my life.

When did you start Closet Goth and why?

CB: When I lived in PA, I recorded under the name CLOUD MINE and decided that that specific project was so reliant on PA that I could never take that name with me to Arizona. I have a big list of band names on my computer that I come up with at random times and I decided to roll with the name Closet Goth. I’m always writing music so it was just a matter of coming up with a name at that point in my life.

How has college affected your record label?

CB: I get to promo my albums at the student radio which is tight, but overall going to school in Tucson has held back Warped Your Record more than anything. Most of the people I work with are in the Phoenix metro area and it feels really bad having to delay releases to fit my Tucsonan schedule.

Where do you see yourself and Warped Your Record in the future?

CB: We have a lot of great things planned for this year, most of which are secretive at this point. I’ve been able to fund future releases with past releases’ profits and that in itself is a major goal of a lot of small record labels. Unfortunately, many labels are awful at financing and bite the dust after a few releases. I hope to buck that trend.

How has music changed your life?

CB: Music is the only thing in life that makes me happy.