Founding OSCR director to retire after 23 years

Barbara Huffman
    Barbara Huffman

The UA office of student computing resources is looking toward the future as the upcoming transition between old director and new draws near.

Barbara Hoffman, the founding director of OSCR, will retire on July 1 after 23 years of working for the UA. Hoffman was not only involved with the planning, implementation and management of the Manuel T. Pacheco Integrated Learning Center, she also had a large part of bringing OSCR into being.

“”Now that OSCR and the ILC are solidly connected I can claim them as my best work,”” Hoffman said in an e-mail to the Wildcat.

Limell’ Lawson, assistant director of OSCR, will take over the reins of the director position in July. Lawson said that although she is excited about her new position, she will “”miss Barb like crazy.””

“”Her vision, determination and compassion… she just cares about people and what they need to get the job done,”” Lawson said. “”She cares about what students need to get the best education they can.””

Lawson wants to continue catering to the needs of students as director of OSCR. She plans to make a few changes to broaden the OSCR spectrum around campus.

Lawson said OSCR will do a lot more advertising around campus next year because many students don’t know about the free services provided – services that include free computer workshops that are available for any student.

OSCR will also begin working closely with the Associated Students of the University of Arizona in order to keep up to date on student needs, Lawson said.

Lawson is currently working to provide more wireless Internet access to students on campus – wireless Internet could be available in the Student Unions and other departments around campus in as early as August.

“”(The Center for Computing and Information Technology) is working very hard to have it ready this fall,”” Lawson said.

Hoffman was an innovative thinker who helped students and faculty of the College of Agriculture and Life Sciences and many other departments, said Roger Caldwell, longtime friend and colleague and special assistant to the dean of the College of Agriculture and Life Sciences.

“”Her general expertise was very helpful and she was always looking for new ways of doing things,”” Caldwell said. “”(Hoffman’s retirement) will be a loss for the campus.””

Hoffman said that after working with Lawson for more than 14 years, she is glad that Lawson will be the new director.

“”She has devoted countless hours to managing endless details and helping each member of the staff understand how they fit within this new organization,”” Hoffman said. “”I am absolutely confident that Limell’s leadership will allow the office of student computing resources to continue to grow it’s successes without missing a beat.””

Lawson said she is excited for her chance to move forward and feels that the new director position will be an opportunity for her to “”sit at the table more often and to be more effective,”” but she will miss working with Hoffman.

“”It’s been an honor to work with Barb, she never lost her passion for student success,”” Lawson said. “”I’ll miss her as a friend and as a mentor.””