UA soccer wins over Texas Tech

As anticipated by UA soccer head coach Dan Tobias, Texas Tech proved to be a strong opponent.

But this weekend’s difficulty only showed Arizona’s continuous strength so far, as the Wildcats (4-2) defeated the Red Raiders (3-2-1) 2-1 in Lubbock, Texas, in Arizona’s fourth road game out of six overall.

“”They were a top opponent, real strong, very physical – I mean a lot of what you would expect, and even though we ended 2-1 it was a really difficult game,”” Tobias said. “”We had a hard time getting into rhythm, but we were able to do everything we talked about during halftime.””

Forward Jacqueline Broussard scored the first goal off of a rebound from Texas Tech in the 55th minute, followed by forward Renae Cuellar nailing a penalty kick after weaving her way through multiple players and taking a foul in the box in the 60th minute.

The score marked Cuellar’s fourth goal in five games.

Tobias said the team has and will be able to strengthen their skills due to the fact that its opening schedule this season has been nothing short of difficult.

“”If you schedule a bunch of cream puffs and a bunch of wins in the beginning of the season, I think that you’re giving your team a false sense of preparation,”” Tobias said. “”And personally, that (means) you’re setting your team up to fail.””

Preventing Texas Tech from scoring throughout the first half – as the Wildcats have done with every opponent so far this season – kept Arizona’s confidence and energy up in the second half, even after the Raiders scored a goal in the 87th minute.

“”Regarding the goals that have come against us, part of it is playing good opponents and it’s just going happen,”” Tobias said.

Assessing how mistakes are made or how opponents tuck goals away, rather than dwelling on the errors, has helped the Wildcats become a strong, confident team so far this season.

“”They’re going to tuck goals away sometimes,”” Tobias said. “”But when that happens, it’s most important to think, ‘How did it happen? Was it based on a mistake we made or was it simply an opening they were able to take?'””