Scooby Wright Update: Sources say Wright has lateral meniscus tear in left knee

Rebecca+Marie+Sasnett+%2F+The+Daily+Wildcat%0Aduring+Arizonas+49-45+win+against+Cal+at+Arizona+Stadium+on+Saturday%2C+Sept.+20%2C+2014.+
Rebecca Marie Sasnett
Rebecca Marie Sasnett / The Daily Wildcat during Arizona’s 49-45 win against Cal at Arizona Stadium on Saturday, Sept. 20, 2014.

When Arizona’s go-to everything, linebacker Scooby Wright III, was injured against UTSA, every Arizona fan held their breath. What if he was out for the season? Some of their questions have been answered.

According to Sports Illustrated, the preseason All-American had a procedure Saturday to repair a lateral meniscus tear in his left knee. Previous reports said that the injury wouldn’t put Wright out for the rest of the season and that he would be able to return. Now, sources say that the doctors are “upbeat about the prognosis after performing the procedure.”

“It was better than everyone thought,” a source told SI.com.

Although very few questions are answered and many are still speculating, answers will be coming shortly. Arizona head coach Rich Rodriguez is expected to clear up questions next week about the status of the junior.

In fact, many are predicting that Wright may be able to return for the Wildcats’ first Pac-12 conference matchup against UCLA.

The good news? Wright’s injury is not season ending. Sure, he may be out a few games, but Wright is too important to lose for the rest of the season.

Wright won the Bronko Nagurski Trophy, the Rotary Lombardi Award and the Chuck Bednarik Award last season. He also had arguably one of the greatest defensive seasons in college football history.

For the next few weeks, the Wildcats will have to survive on defense without their main captain and leader. With many other injuries, that may be difficult, but Rodriguez has preached the “Next Man Up” philosophy. As of this moment, others have stepped up. In the mean time, redshirt senior linebacker Haden Gregory will take Wright’s place. Gregory played in six games with the linebackers and on special teams, recording one solo tackle.

Follow Matt Wall on Twitter.