Unidentified Jeep wrangler wrangles Jeep Wranglers

Lexi Horsey
The University of Arizona Police Department on Wednesday, Oct. 2, 2019, in Tucson.

The University of Arizona Police Department is actively investigating four car thefts that occurred since the beginning of the fall 2021 semester. The larcenies have exclusively involved Jeep Wrangler model vehicles which have exterior hood latches, allowing access to the car’s engine without the use of a key or interior hood release, and a suspect has not yet been identified.

The thefts occurred in various parking garages around campus, and police note that all of the thefts have involved the cars’ batteries being disconnected, which in turn disabled the cars’ alarm systems. Valuable items were then stolen from the vehicles and the cars were damaged.

Police advise that Jeep Wrangler owners or similar vehicles with an exterior hood latch consider acquiring an anti-theft mechanism or locking device to protect their vehicle from break-ins.

No additional details are available at this time, but UAPD asked the campus community to avoid leaving valuable items in their vehicles, park their cars in well-lit and populated areas, document the models and serial numbers of any vehicular electronics and to report suspicious activity to UAPD immediately by calling 9-1-1, using a campus emergency blue light, phone or employing the use of the LiveSafe app.

Anyone with information regarding these thefts is highly encouraged to contact UAPD at 621-UAPD (8273), and if you would prefer to stay anonymous, utilize the UAPD anonymous tip line at 621-TIPS (8477) or 88-CRIME.

Follow Vic Verbalaitis on Twitter