V-day getaways need not break the bank

Combining music, steel and art, Andy Thurlow stands for an occupational photograph with just a few of his musical creations Monday, Jan. 31, 2011. Thurlow has been making these unique instruments in Tucson, Ariz. for over four years.

Wildlife knows college students are on a budget. The following are some thrifty gifts for your sweetie to fill the weekend of love. Or to celebrate Single’s Awareness Day. Whichever applies.

Eat out (at an affordable restaurant)

Valentine’s Day dining at Boca:

From 11:30 a.m. – 12 a.m. on V-Day, a couple can nab a meal of six tacos, rice and beans and a bottle of wine ($30) at the now-infamous Boca Tacos and Tequila. With $3 tacos twice the size of those served at most shops, the meal should fill up your stomach without emptying your wallet. The regular menu will be served as well.

Valentine’s Day dining at Sam Hughes’:

From 4 p.m. – 9 p.m. at Sam Hughes’ Place Championship Dining (446 N. Campbell Ave. ) a “”sweetheart dinner for two”” offers three entrée choices and a shared mud pie for dessert. Price varies by entree, but with a 10 percent off any entrée coupon on their website, you can eat classily without busting the bank.

Tickle your creativity

Tucson Gem and Mineral Show:

The 57th annual Tucson Gem and Mineral Show will be open from Feb. 10-13, from 10 a.m. – 6 p.m. from Thursday-Saturday and 10 a.m. – 5 p.m. on Sunday. A $10 entrance fee allows you into the yearly festival that is part trade show, part marketplace. Let your sweetie pick out something fun, and drop by exhibits from Bisbee, New York, Switzerland, Australia and everything in between — most of which are free.

Second annual Tucson Sculpture Festival:

Around 45 artists displaying 300 pieces of sculpture sums up Parasol Project’s Tucson Sculpture Festival, with a kinetic sculpture museum and many local artisans looking to give you a good time — and maybe even a gift. Admittance is free.

Make memories, take memories

Photo album:

Order a vintage camera photo album from Anthropologie ($10), or run by Walgreens and pick out their finest bound faux-leather book ($2) and label the present — “”To all the memories we’ll make together.”” If you want to get really fancy, throw in a yard sale or thrift store Polaroid to document the romantic adventures ahead.

Vintage goods:

Tucson has a plethora of vintage stores and book shops to delight your mate. Grab his or her favorite book or DVD series from Book Stop, 214 N. Fourth Ave., or Bookmans Entertainment Exchange, 1930 E. Grant Road. Walk down to Desert Vintage and Costume, 636 N. Fourth Ave., How Sweet It Was Vintage Clothing and Rentals, 419 N. Fourth Ave., or Tucson Thrift Shop, 319 N. Fourth Ave., which feature vintage clothes and accessories including sunglasses, purses, shoes, costumes, board games — or anything else that was once used by people. Going the extra mile to dig through another man’s trash to find your girl or boyfriend’s treasure will really make him or her feel special.

Milk the system

ValentinesDayFreebies.com:

If you are waiting for that next check to come in, but you still want to spread the love, feel free to utilize the website’s many links to free stuff, including: free pamphlets for homemade Valentine’s cards for the crafty, two free romance novels or free condoms for the frisky, and screen savers and stationary for those who are planning to grab a mate for next Valentine’s Day — or this one, if you act fast.

Celebrate singlehood

Hotel Congress:

Wildlife understands not everyone has a significant other. For singles out there, feel free to treat yourself to any of the options above, but if none of them tickles your fancy, head right on downtown. Over at Hotel Congress, 311 E. Congress St., a flight of three cocktails is featured in “”I Love You but I’ve Chosen Cocktails: An Anti-Valentine’s Tasting.”” For $15 from 6 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. on Feb. 12, mixologist Aaron DeFeo and friends will serve up drinks and fun for those riding solo.