‘Goya’s Ghost’ to be screened at Loft

Milos Formans 2006 film Goyas Ghosts, starring Natalie Portman and Javier Bardem, depicts the life of painter Francisco Goya against the backdrop of the Spanish Inquisition.
    Milos Forman’s 2006 film ‘Goya’s Ghosts,’ starring Natalie Portman and Javier Bardem, depicts the life of painter Francisco Goya against the backdrop of the Spanish Inquisition.

When the UA Museum of Art collides with The Loft Cinema, the outcome is a one-time screening of the Spanish film, “”Goya’s Ghosts,”” co-written and directed by Oscar-winning filmmaker Milos Forman.

“”Goya’s Ghost”” is being presented in union with the current exhibit of “”Goya’s Mastery in Prints”” at the UA Museum of Art. The prints display the techniques and artistic accomplishments of Spanish artist Francisco de Goya.

The film was released in 2006 and stars Stellan SkarsgǾrd, Natalie Portman, Randy Quaid and recent Oscar winner Javier Bardem. Though the film is a Spanish production, it was written, produced and performed in English.

“”Goya’s Ghost”” is told through the eyes of Goya, played by SkarsgǾrd. The film focuses on the life and work of Goya during the end of the Spanish Inquisition and the beginning of the invasion of Spain by Napoleon’s army. The film’s conflict revolves around model Inés (Portman), who Goya uses in his paintings, and how Brother Lorenzo (Bardem) becomes infatuated with her. Inés is accused of being a heretic and practicing Jewish rituals, which puts Goya’s friendship with Lorenzo and his personal beliefs in jeopardy.

The film also captures the essence of Goya’s art in the colorful depictions of the royal court and its people. The film elegantly recreates Goya’s portrayal of the violence and cruelty of war during the late 1700s.

“”The film is modeled after a Goya painting and should be a fun, interesting, entertaining and educational event,”” said Jeff Yanc, programming director at the Loft.

A post-screening Q-and-A session will be hosted by Lisa Fischman and Lisa Hastreiter-Lamb, curators from the UA Museum of Art.

“”The film offers a cross promotion with film exposure to art and art exposure to film,”” Yanc said.

“”Goya’s Ghost”” will be screened Sunday at 1 p.m. at The Loft Cinema, 3233 E. Speedway Blvd. Admission is $5.