Adia Barnes writes why Homecoming is so special to her

Retired+Arizona+player+Adia+Barnes+jumps+backward+while+shooting+against+NAU+in+McKale+Center.+
Courtesy Arizona Athletics
Retired Arizona player Adia Barnes jumps backward while shooting against NAU in McKale Center.

Adia Barnes is back at the UA in her new role as Wildcats women’s basketball head coach. The Daily Wildcat asked her to write about why she is, and will always be, a Wildcat and what it means to don the cardinal red and navy blue once again for her Alma Mater. This is what she had to say:

Every week is Homecoming if you ask me. I am so honored to have the opportunity to come back to the place that means so much to me and put my mark on it for the second time.

There is a reason that I chose to play my college basketball at the UA, and I was reminded of that when I decided to become the head coach. Arizona defines what it means to be a collegiate family. People from all walks of life come to the UA and instantly learn the Wildcat Way and what it means to bear down.

There are so many people that are still fans that I remember from when I was playing for coach Joan Bonvicini. This sense of longevity is what gives the UA a welcoming environment. There are so many former Arizona student-athletes that now work for Arizona Athletics—people like Ray Wells, Lacy Nymeyer-John, Syndric Steptoe and Erika Barnes, to name a few.

Erika was on the softball team when I played here, and now she is our senior woman administrator. That’s awesome.

The UA is truly special. If you take a quick walk around McKale Center, every person you walk by will say hi to you with a smile on their face and ask you how your day is going. I cannot imagine being somewhere else right now.

And don’t get me started on our beautiful campus.

There is a reason that I chose to be at the UA twice, and the campus was a big part of that decision. It really doesn’t get much better than taking a stroll down the UA Mall to the Student Union Memorial Center.

I cannot wait to send my son Matteo to the UA when he is ready for college. I know that’s about 18 years away (ha), but I already know that he will be a Wildcat and he will bear down with pride.

Follow Adia Barnes on Twitter.