Tennis Wrapup

Men’s tennis still in ITA Championships

The main draw singles rounds at the Intercollegiate Tennis All-American Championships in Tulsa, Okla., kicked off on Thursday, where Wildcat junior Jay Goldman advanced with a three-set victory.

In a match that was played indoors due to heavy thunderstorms in the Tulsa area, Goldman met Dusan Medan from Marquette University. Goldman won the first set, lost the second set, but maintained his focus to outlast Medan for a 6-3, 3-6, 6-3 win.

Goldman will try to continue his run at the ITA Championships when he takes on No. 9 Sanam Singh of the University of Virginia on Friday.

Women’s tennis falls at championships

Wildcat sophomore Natasha Marks’ run at the ITA Championships in Los Angeles came to an end on Thursday.

Marks had won three consecutive matches earlier in the week to earn a slot in Thursday’s main draw event. Her opponent in the main draw was No. 3 Marrit Boonstra from the University of Florida, who defeated Marks in straight sets 6-2, 6-3.

The tournament featured the highest level of talent in college tennis, and Marks will undoubtedly return to Tucson with more experience from the championships.

The Wildcat women’s tennis team will not return to action until the ITA Regional Tournament in San Diego, Calif., which will begin on Oct. 22.

— Michael Fitzsimmons