Pair of ‘Cats head to Millrose Games

Valentina Martinelli
Valentina Martinelli / Arizona Daily Wildcat Cross country runner Stephen Sambu, an agribusiness economics and management junior, talks about his running experience in McKale Center on Tuesday, Nov 9, 2011. Sambu is one of the top five runners in the country.

While the No. 5 Arizona men’s track team and No. 10 women’s team will split up this weekend to compete in two separate events, a pair of Wildcats will be taking on a bigger event — distance runners senior Stephen Sambu and sophomore Lawi Lalang will represent Arizona in the 5K at the Millrose Games.

“This is our biggest race yet,” Sambu said. “It will be our first time racing against professional runners. The pace will be very fast so it’s an honor to be there with Lawi. Very few college students were invited to race individually.”

Associate head coach James Li will fly in to New York Friday morning once the rest of his squad is settled in Seattle while head track and field coach Fred Harvey overlooks the team at the Boise State Team Challenge.

An invitation to the Millrose Games is rare for collegiate runners and offers an opportunity to compete against the best runners in the world.

The Millrose Games were founded in 1908 and gather athletes from countries around the world including Romania and Great Britain. For the first time this year, the meet will be held at the New York Armory in Upper Manhattan. It was previously held at Madison Square Garden, one of the most famous arenas in the world.

“I am nervous but very excited,” Sambu said. “We are looking to break the NCAA record. If not me, then I think Lawi can do it.”