Arizona soccer can’t make up for an early goal given up, lose to Oregon 1-0

Jackie Cabrera

Hope Hisey (0) kicks the ball during the Wildcats game against the University of Southern California on Murphey Field at Mulcahy Soccer Stadium Oct. 3. The final score was a 4-1 loss for the Wildcats.

The Arizona soccer team lost their fifth game straight against Oregon by a score of 1-0 on Thursday, Oct. 7 at Papé Field in Eugene, Oregon. 

Arizona started the game by giving possession away to Oregon in the first minute of the game after a pass was intercepted by an Oregon player. Oregon took advantage of the mistake and put a lot of pressure on Arizona in their defensive third. 

A bad start turned worse as Oregon midfielder Chardonnay Curran took a shot to the right of the goal that Arizona goalkeeper Hope Hisey was unable to save. Hisey was at the left goalpost as Curran’s shot went untouched into the bottom right corner of the goal in the third minute. 

Arizona responded by earning two back-to-back corner kicks. The first kick went to Arizona midfielder Madison Goerlinger who took a shot that missed the goal and led to the second corner. Oregon was able to dominate Arizona’s defense in the first half, creating turnovers and blocks. Oregon was able to block the only other two shots from forward Jill Aguilera and midfielder Gianna Christiansen. 

While Oregon played stout defense, Arizona’s defense performed strongly after the goal, stopping any shot from Oregon for the rest of the half. Arizona failed to get a shot off after the 10th minute of the game and went into the half down 1-0. 

Starting the second half, Oregon continued to dominate possession with forward Ally Cook taking a shot that was off target in the 50th minute. Arizona was able to get the ball with forward Quincy Bonds leading the offensive attack but she was unable to convert her shot as it was saved by Oregon goalkeeper Leah Freeman. 

Arizona’s defense took a large blow with an injury to defender Sabrina Enciso in the 57th minute. Enciso, a defensive anchor for the Wildcats, had her knee get caught under her during a play and fell to the ground. Enciso was unable to put any pressure on the injured leg and had to be carted off the field with the help of Arizona staff.

Arizona continued to stand strong defensively and was able to take possession leading to a shot from Aguilera in the 65th minute which was saved by Oregon’s Freeman. Arizona almost gave up its own goal after a defender headed the ball dangerously close to the goal but went out of bounds in the 73rd minute. 

RELATED: Arizona soccer breaks down defensively, loses to USC

Aguilera continued to try and find the equalizing goal on a shot in the 73rd minute which went wide of the goal. Undeterred, Arizona got a corner kick in the 82nd minute that was punched away from the goal by Oregon’s Freeman to deny another Arizona opportunity. 

In the final ten minutes, Arizona’s offense did their best to get opportunities to put the ball in the goal that would tie the game and send it into overtime. Arizona’s Megan Chelf took the team’s final shot in the 89th minute but was unable to place the ball near the goal. Oregon kept the ball away from Arizona in the final minute to end the game. 

Arizona’s record now is 3-8-0 and has started conference play 0-4. Arizona will continue conference play against Oregon State in Corvallis, Oregon at Paul Lorenz field on Sunday at 1:00 p.m. MST.

Follow Asher Bookspan on Twitter