Editorial – Monday Morning Quarterbacking

Bush gathers leaders to talk credit crisis
    President Bush announced this weekend that he would host a summit of world leaders to discuss a solution to the world financial crisis. “”It is essential that we preserve the foundations of democratic capitalism – commitment to free markets, free enterprise and free trade,”” he said at Camp David on Saturday, making the announcement alongside French president Nicolas Sarkozy. For once, Bush has learned from history: if world leaders had worked together at the outset of the Great Depression, some of the terrible fallout – such as the rise of fascism – might have been avoided. The beleaguered president only has three months left in office, but it’s reassuring to see that he, at least, hasn’t given up on salvaging his presidency from the “”worst ever”” judgments that historians have started circulating recently.

Powell crosses party line to endorse Obama
    Former Secretary of State Colin Powell, who served under three Republican presidents and who was famously skeptical of the Iraq War, endorsed Barack Obama for president on Sunday. “”(Obama) is crossing lines – ethnic lines, racial lines, generational lines,”” Powell said. Powell was equally courageous in crossing party lines to endorse a man whom some of his fellow Republicans have been spuriously linking to terrorism. As the crises the next president will have to face continue to pile up, it’s good to know that, for some of America’s leaders, personal qualities and qualification still matter more than party labels.

Click downsizes disabled worker program
    The economic situation is taking a toll on car dealers like the Tucson local Jim Click – legendary for his commercials – who announced recently that he would have to reduce the number of disabled people he hires to do jobs such as cleaning cars as part of his non-profit Beacon Group. “”We are not selling as many cars, and we don’t have as many to clean,”” he told the Arizona Daily Star. “”These are unusual times.”” It’s a sad reminder that Wall Street tycoons and investors aren’t the only ones suffering; the farther down you rank on the opportunity scale, the worse you’re likely to be hit by this crisis.

Main Gate Square gets healthier eating option
    If you always meant to quit eating at Chipotle three times a week, look out: you’re not going to have any more excuses. The UA’s three-year-old Farmers Market has moved from the UA Mall to University Boulevard’s Main Gate Square in order to expand its accessibility and provide room for more vendors. The market, which is run in part by Campus Health Services, will be held every Friday from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. through December. After a week of washing down greasy pizza slices with oversized cardboard cups of Coke, you owe it to your body to kick off the weekend with something healthy.

Editorials are determined by the Daily Wildcat opinions board and written by one of its members. They are Andi Berlin, Justyn Dillingham, Lauren LePage, Lance Madden and Nick Seibel.