Police Beat: January 28

Workout blues
A UA student reported that her belongings had been stolen on Wednesday at around 7:00 p.m.
According to the student, her friend had picked her up and driven her to the Student Recreation Center. When the student said she did not want to work out on the elliptical, the friend threw a tantrum and left the rec center.
The student received a text from her friend a few minutes later saying that she had left the student’s backpack, containing books, credit cards and a pair of pants, in the middle of Seventh Street before driving off. However, when the student went to the area, her items were not there.
A University of Arizona Police Department officer called the student’s friend, who told the officer that she had dropped the property off at the student’s apartment.
Shortly after, the student confirmed that she had received her missing belongings.

Falling for Fireball
A student was diverted to the Dean of Students Office for underage drinking at 1:55 a.m. on Jan. 16 after being found intoxicated at Highland Market.
The store manager called UAPD after seeing a student fall on her face and give herself a bloody nose. The store manager said she appeared to be drunk.
The student told the officer that she had fallen because she felt faint. However, the student’s friend informed the officer that they had recently returned from a party at the fraternity Pi Kappa Alpha.
When questioned again, the student admitted to drinking about two shots of Fireball Cinnamon Whisky at PIKE. The student smelled strongly of alcohol.
The officer left the student in the care of her friend, who was sober.

Low speed crash
Two UA students were involved in a crash between a bicycle and a golf cart on Jan. 21 at 6:00 p.m.
The bicyclist claimed that he was riding behind the golf cart going east on University Boulevard at about 10 mph when the golf cart slowed down.
The bicyclist decided to pass the cart on the left, thinking the cart was going to turn right. Instead, the golf cart started to make a U-turn and hit him.
The driver of the golf cart said he was going 15 mph and swerved to avoid a car parked on the side of the road, but remained in his own lane. He successfully avoided the parked car but instead hit the bicyclist, causing the bicyclist to fall into the golf cart.
No one was harmed and the golf cart was undamaged, but the front wheel and frame of the bicycle suffered damage and may be unusable.
The two students exchanged contact information and then continued on their way.