The Student News Site of University of Arizona

The Daily Wildcat

73° Tucson, AZ

The Daily Wildcat

The Daily Wildcat


Police Beat: October 14

Thirsty Thursday on the third floor

A University of Arizona student was found passed out in a bathroom of Maricopa Residence Hall on Sept. 27.

 A University of Arizona Police Department officer arrived at the residence hall in reference to an unresponsive woman. She was found passed out in the bathroom on the third floor by the on-duty resident assistant.

The RA told the officer she was investigating a water leak that appeared to be originating from the third-floor bathroom when she noticed a woman surrounded by vomit and lying in the shower.

Tucson Fire Department firefighters arrived on the scene and evaluated the student, who was by then conscious. The student first said her name was Thursday, but then said her name was October. The officer spoke with her and saw that her eyes were red and watery and that she had a strong odor of intoxicants coming from her breath.

The student was being uncooperative, as she attempted to walk to her room. The officer explained to her that she needed to provide her name and date of birth to the paramedics, as well as to UAPD, in order to figure out if she was a resident of Maricopa.The student identified herself repeatedly with a false first name. She eventually gave her real first name. The RA who called the officer looked her up and found that she was a resident.

The student said she had been drinking at the Level apartment complex but did not say how much she had to drink. She was escorted to her room, where her roommate agreed to watch over her the rest of the night.

The officer explained she was going to be diverted to the Dean of Students Office. The student turned off the lights to her room and attempted to close the door. The process was then explained to her roommate.

It’s a catas-trophy!

Sigma Kappa sorority reported a burglary from its house on Sept. 27.

A UAPD officer responded to a call at the Sigma Kappa sorority house in reference to a burglary. Upon arrival, the officer spoke to the vice president and temporary house mother. They informed the officer that the house mother was out of town and would return later that week.

They then told the officer that two composite photo frames measuring approximately 3 feet by 5 feet were missing off the walls from the inside of the building. One was from 2013 and last seen in the hallway past the foyer, while the other was from 2014 and last seen in the dining room.

Someone had also vandalized a glass stylized insignia, in addition to taking several trophies that were missing from the show case. It was not known how many trophies were taken. The officer was provided the house mother’s phone number.

When the house mother was contacted, she said that there were no cameras in the area, and that she was in the process of purchasing some in the near future. She said  when she returned to town, she would contact UAPD to inform it of how many trophies had been taken and if anything else was missing.

The house mother also told the officer that the residents use a key fob to gain entrance to the building, but there was also a code in case they forgot it. She said she believed someone may have used the code to enter the building. She added that she had changed the code and deleted the old one when she had been informed about the burglary.

The house mother was given a victims rights form.

More to Discover
Activate Search