Wildcat watchlist for 2015-2016

Bill Mason, Cat Tran Driver (Brown hair) Dennis Cady, Cat Tran Driver (black and white striped shirt) AJ Dowgiert, Cat Tran Driver (Plaid/Checkered Shirt)

Scooby Wright III:

Up first is the unanimous All-American and reigning Pac-12 Defensive Player of the Year, Phillip Anthony “Scooby” Wright III. The middle-linebacker was the catalyst for the Wildcats football team that won 10 games, the Pac-12 Conference South and a Fiesta Bowl berth last season. Whether it was setting the tone with a forced fumble for the opening touchdown against ASU, racking up 19 tackles and three sacks against UCLA or sealing the upset with a forced fumble and recovery against then-No. 2 Oregon, Wright III played like a one-man wrecking crew at times for a turnover-happy Wildcat defense. It remains to be seen if he can duplicate last season’s accomplishments, but if the two-star recruit from Santa Rosa has proven one thing, it is to not doubt Scooby.

Kaleb Tarczewski:

The only returning starter from the basketball team’s back-to-back Elite Eight squads has a chance to be the winningest basketball player in Wildcat history and a chance to lead the Wildcats to the Final Four to cap off his senior year. The defensive anchor for the Wildcats during the past two seasons also provides leadership and selflessness along with a deft shooting touch to draw out the defense. If the Wildcats are to make a Final Four run this year, they need a productive season from Tarczewski and a double-digit scoring average.

George Cunningham:

The freshman golfer from Tucson and former No. 2 recruit in his class from Golfweek started off his Wildcat career in spectacular fashion by earning All-Pac-12 freshman honors and being named to the All-Pac-12 second team. He led the Wildcats at the Pac-12 Championship with a (-4), good enough for third place and had the second-best single-season stroke average for a freshman in Wildcat history. With three years of eligibility remaining for Cunningham, look for him to continue to tear up courses and rewrite the record books during his tenure in Tucson.

Bobby Dalbec:

The sweet-swinging sophomore who divides his time as a pitcher and third baseman is a triple threat when it comes to pitching, hitting and fielding. Last season he batted .319 and led the team with 15 home runs and 53 RBIs while also recording a team-high five saves and a 3.21 ERA. At the conclusion of the season, Dalbec was invited to the USA Collegiate National Team and represented the Wildcats well as it went 9-6 against teams such as Chinese Taipei and Cuba.

Nnenya Hailey:

She was an NCAA All-American First-Team this past season and was 2014 All-Pac-12 for 400-meter hurdles and 4×400 relay. Hailey made the 2014 All-American second team for Indoor and Outdoor, and is the only Athlete in Wildcat history to receive NCAA Indoor All-American in the 60-meter hurdles. She concluded her 2015 season with a sixth-place finish in the women’s 400-meter hurdles, but unfortunately the women’s streak of seven consecutive top-25 finishes came to an end. Next season, she has the chance to conclude her senior year with another All-American season and another top ranking for the Wildcats.